Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I purchased a used map clamp and can't hear a click when I tried to reset it, i swear i've turned it hundreds of times in a couple directions, and now I would like to check the voltage it is at so I know where i'm at before I install it

when it's hooked up it reads the idle voltage, when I measure black and green/red I get .76
when I measure black and orange I get 4.96

is there a way other than running it on the car, to find out what voltage it is at w/o risking the engine

i've searched for about an hour and not very clear

thanks

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I'm confused, with one wire you said you get 4.96? Is that an idle number or WOT acceleration? At idle being in the .76 sounds about right.
0, 2.08
1, 2.23
2, 2.38
3, 2.54
4, 2.69
5, 2.84
6, 2.99
7, 3.15
8, 3.30
9, 3.45
10, 3.60
11, 3.75
12, 3.91
13, 4.06
14, 4.21
15, 4.36
16, 4.52
17, 4.67
18, 4.82

I dont remember the wire colors i used when i had that on my car, but if you remember the way i sent it to you then its the correct way. If you dont remember just follow what the instructions say, its the correct way. In order to check the clampage voltage you have to run the car in WOT acceleration.

Remember if you are tuning with the map clamp, use a wideband to check the a/f ratios. You cant assume that clamping just 1 psi less than what your actually boosting is fine (unless maybe if your stage 2 since it runs soo ungodly rich, but even that is dangerous). Every car is different, if someone had been boosting 18 psi and clamped at 16 with a/f of 11.6 wont give you the same results with your car, just a FYI. And false tuning is what will mess up the engine not a second of going lean while tuning.

When you are tuning and you go lean for a second or two its still ok as long as you dont keep on it. Richen it up asap if you see your too lean, and if your too rich then slowly turn counter clock wise to lean it out.

I also never had the map clamp click when i turned it clockwise, but it did the job when i was tuning.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions.
Armen

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just want to set it at about 4.8

since I have added fuel and a WGA my peak is at about 20psi- dropping to 16 in third, but once it gets over 18 my timing gets retarded so I just want the computer to not flip out when I hit over 18 psi which it might in higher gears

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
ODHANZ said:
i just want to set it at about 4.8

since I have added fuel and a WGA my peak is at about 20psi- dropping to 16 in third, but once it gets over 18 my timing gets retarded so I just want the computer to not flip out when I hit over 18 psi which it might in higher gears

hook up volt meter
make a pull 3rd gear 3000-4000 look at voltage
adjust
repete
adjust repete

the worst thing you could do is try and find the click
here is why
its not going to "click"
you never playing with one most likely wont find the click
turning it and turning it can break it or damage it

do you have any idea where its at? now from where you got it?
the best thing you could have done was many turn it back 4-5 turns from where you got it

hope that helps

·
Registered
636 Posts
SilveRT-4 said:
I'm confused, with one wire you said you get 4.96? Is that an idle number or WOT acceleration? At idle being in the .76 sounds about right.
The orange wire should be ~5 volts. It's the +5 power wire.

Do what vector says. 3rd gear pull, adjust, repeat. It will take many, many adjustments to even get it in the range where it makes a difference.

Now if you've really turned it 100s of times.. I hope you didn't damage it.

It took me over 13 (maybe 15-18, dont remember) turns to get it down to ~4.8v. But after you get into the range, then 1/2 turns and 1/4 turns make a big difference.

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
turn it back the couple hundred turns you turned it and and measure voltage.....IF anybody buys a used mapclamp even if its off by like 1.0 volts your talking maybe 2 turns tops to tune whereit needs to be

1 - 6 of 6 Posts