Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, for grins today I decided to take the PCM out of the loop as far as controlling boost is concerned and hooked the WGA (stock WGA) up to the vaccuum/boost source behind the throttle body (no boost controller). WOW! 22+ PSI spike drops down to 15 PSI at redline. And way too much part throttle boost, as well.

My question is this, is there any way to modulate that huge boost spike out? It's occurring at relatively low RPMs (3500-4500) and i'm worried about causing excessive surging and just plain overboosting this motor.

Another question, what is it that actually causes the wastegate to function, vaccuum or boost? In other words, does a high pressure signal push the wastegate open against the spring pressure (and thus allowing exhaust gasses to bypass the impellers), or does low pressure (vacuum) hold it closed against the spring pressure? Will some kind of bleed, restrictor, or check valve prevent the huge spike I'm seeing?

Right now I'm being very careful with the boost and just letting off when it builds too high, but man it just spools and hits 20+PSI so quickly that it's difficult sometimes. I also have the edtip mod to prevent CEL from overboost. Anyway, any ideas are welcome, but this car is not driveable like this.

Bill

·
Registered
354 Posts
after reviewing my post i realized that the picture i took form the service manuel LOOKS nothing like out set up on our car... YES you are correct. at rest spring pressure holds the gate closed. as boost increases spring pressure in overcome and the gate is opened... im guessing the reason your seeing so much overboost is because the source your using now is not seeing enough pressure to open the gate... the stock gate has a very weak spring so im not shure y its not closing very fast if the source pressure is not being controlled by the ecu anymore..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.