Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night on the way home I noticed that my power steering was not working (hard to turn and noise when turning left or right from intersection). Traveled about 30 miles. In the morning checked the reservoir level and it was empty. Taking it to the auto garage this weekend. I did not hit anything, no potholes to jar anything loose.

This is a 2003. Mods done are a LSD done about 10 years ago and PT GT turbo knuckles installed and MOPAR Stage 1 lower springs, 16x7 wheels with 225/50/16 tires. This was done last fall when I got the car running after setting about 4 years.

Did I damage the steering rack by driving 30 miles with no fluid. If so any recommendations on steering rack replacements?

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
The rack should be fine from running empty. It does lubricate the internals of the rack but even if not pressurize you'd probably still have some residual fluid in the housing.

The stock power steering pumps tend to get noisy on the 2.4L, especially if you haven't regularly changed the ATF+4 fluid. Running a power steering pump dry can cause bearing and internal wear but your first course of action is to find where the fluid went. Maybe the reservoir cracked. Maybe a line rusted or broke. Maybe the rack is leaking internally out the tie rod boots.

Get that fixed, refill the system and see if there's any noise or problems. If there's been some noise/whine and you think it might be a little worse after fixing the source of the leak, I'd consider using a syringe or something to occasionally pull a little ATF+4 fluid out of the reservoir to make sure there's no metal or other debris.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
i'd guess its just the belt popped off (need to replace tensioner) or its just low on fluid..

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shop called. The pressure line had a pinhole. Considering the lines are original (16 years) guess it's time to replace them.

Thanks all for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts