Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you may know, I have been working with VEI Gauges to bring the SRT world it's first mass-producible digital cluster. In case you've missed out on all the news, you can read about it all over the forums:

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f330/instrument-cluster-354382/?highlight=
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f69/custom-instrument-cluster-part-2-please-vote-432311/?highlight=
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f10/custom-instrument-cluster-part-2-please-vote-432310/?highlight= <-- this is different than the other one

For those that look at the polls, it's design two that won. We had to change the final design a little after that due to some unforeseen design constraints (aka - the stock dash sloped down too much on the left), but otherwise that's the design you'd be getting.

Well... as I said in the title, this cluster is now in its testing phase. I've been working with Neil at VEI Gauges for the last two weeks now to check voltage parameters, due various gauge checks... I'm running wires too and fro to confirm everything, so that when you get this it's virtually nothing more a mere plug-n-play module (except of course for whatever extras you want in it... ie. - an EGT gauge).

So yeah... while I'm not going to be posting any pictures of the test module (as it truly is just that... a electronic board with various gauges thrown on it), I will let you know that this is happening...

And while I can't tell you a release date, or a final amount, I can tell you that Neil is working countless hours (literally, e-mailing me at 2:00 EST --- and he's from Florida!) to get this thing done. I'm also working my tail off to do this in my free time, as I spend most of my time studying for medical school.

Well... that's all for now,
Dave

·
Registered
132 Posts
I spoke with Neil about this last week and saw the pics of your test cluster. Must raise a bunch of questions when people see it :) But looks like you're almost done with all the functional parts... nice!
Vic.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I would get the basic display with an added boost gauge on it. Obviously it depends on how the final design and look comes out, but I can't see myself paying much more than $500ish on it...and that's if it's niiiice. $400 I would save up for it no doubt.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, still no idea on a final price. This will come once Neil and his associates determine how much more final work will be needed to get this into production. We're on the final test right now using the mule cluster. After this, it's back to Neil and his crew and then to get this thing into prototype fashion for more tests and then finally production! :)

·
Registered
854 Posts
I'm watching. One thing that I was thinking is there a way to intergrate a scan gauge into this so people can monitor there timing and ingniion? This would make this all the more better!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm watching. One thing that I was thinking is there a way to intergrate a scan gauge into this so people can monitor there timing and ingniion? This would make this all the more better!
From my talks with Neil, he's not a big fan of so-called 'scan gauges' as their data is pulled from a BUS and not directly from actual senders and thus the values are not as accurate... Don't get me wrong, their close, but not 'perfect' and hence his desire to stay away from them.

With these clusters, if you opt to get an EGT gauge, oil temp sensor, etcetera as an option, you'll also have to install the sensor itself and run the wire to the cluster. We are trying to obtain pinpoint accuracy, while maintaining some sanity with refresh rates (take it from me, I've already experienced the 'too slow' and 'insanely too fast' resfresh rates available for both tach and speedo and we have created what is a perfect medium -- FAR faster than the stock cluster, much more accurate, and still calm enough to retain sanity).

Dave

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
No sir, there will not. The available gauges are:

Temperature...
Water Temperature, 2-1/16" (52mm), Celcius...
Water Temperature, 2-1/16" (52mm), Fahrenheit... stock
Oil Temperature, 2-1/16" (52mm), Celcius...
Oil Temperature, 2-1/16" (52mm), Fahrenheit... my choice
Exhaust-Gas Temperature / Pyrometer, 2-1/16" (52mm), Celcius...
Exhaust-Gas Temperature / Pyrometer, 2-1/16" (52mm), Fahrenheit... my choice
Transmission Temperature, 2-1/16" (52mm), Celcius...
Transmission Temperature, 2-1/16" (52mm), Fahrenheit...
Pressure...
Oil Pressure, 2-1/16" (52mm), 100 PSI...
Fuel Pressure, 2-1/16" (52mm), 100 PSI...
Vacuum & Boost Pressure, 2-1/16" (52mm), 50 PSI / 4 Bar...
Hi-Res Vacuum & Boost Pressure, 2-1/16" (52mm), 50.0 PSI... my choice
Electrical...
P.O.L. Voltmeter, 2-1/16" (52mm)... my choice
Audio Health Meter (Temperature & P.O.L. Voltmeter), 2-1/16" (52mm)...
Fuel-Level...
Fuel-level, 2-1/16" (52mm)... stock
Speedometer...
Speedometer w/Odometer, 3-3/8" (86mm)... stock
Tachometer...
Tachometer, 3-3/8" (86mm)... stock
Clock/Counters...
Digital Clock, 2-1/16" (52mm)...
Digital Desk Clock, 2-1/16" (52mm)...
Navigation...
Digital Compass & Heading Indicator, 1-5/8" (41mm)...
Air-Fuel Ratio / Other...
Indicators (7), 1-5/8" (41mm)... stock --- but it won't appear like this gauge on the cluster
Wideband Air-Fuel Ratio Monitor, 2-1/16" (52mm)...
Universal Voltage-Input Signal Monitor, 2-1/16" (52mm)...

All can be viewed in detail here:
VEI Intelligent Digital Gauges

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Where is the one that tells the outside temp? LOL! You damn near have everything else so how hard would it be to do that?
Honestly, if you wanted that, it'd be real easy to do. Get the 'oil temp' sensor, lower the ranges (this is something the end-user [you] can do) and when you install the sensor, just install it in the cowl on the right side, or perhaps near one of the nostrils. Heck, you could even hide it in your wheel well... just a thought.

As for an ETA... nothing set in stone yet, unfortunately. We're finalizing the last test with the mule cluster right now --- working out the last of the kinks --- and then it's back to VEI for the prototype. I'm hoping to have the prototype back to me, installed, and finished tinkering with by Christmas. At that point, it's back to VEI one final time for the final touches and then it's time for mass production.

Dave

·
Registered
132 Posts
From my talks with Neil, he's not a big fan of so-called 'scan gauges' as their data is pulled from a BUS and not directly from actual senders and thus the values are not as accurate...
Thats really for the analog sensors such as water temp, oil pressure, etc, right?h

·
Registered
132 Posts
Honestly, if you wanted that, it'd be real easy to do. Get the 'oil temp' sensor, lower the ranges (this is something the end-used [you] can do) and when you install the sensor,
Even easier... VEI makes an actual outside/inside air temp gauge. The super-small sensor is usually mounted (tie-wrapped) on the inside of the bumper so it doesn't get fooled by moving air and doesn't measure heat of nearby metals etc. Or it can be mounted inside the cabin.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts