Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have a CAI that sticks way down in the fenderwell area like the K&N that makes you afraid to drive through any puddles at all? Well, I was so I fixed that problem. It worked like a charm. Here's what I did. I took the arm (pipe) out of the fenderwell area and hacksawed about 6" off of it. Now it sits comfortably inside at a higher level so I don't have to worry about the puddles and or standing water anymore. I have a minimum of 12" clearance now and some peace of mind. May be drastic, but I feel it was worth it. The hacksaw cut straght through no problem. I woud recommend it to anyone who has the same fears. I didn't want to short ram it since that defeats the purpose of a CAI (cold). Now, I get the best of both worlds. I think K&N did it like that so it could bolt onto the inside of the car. I cut above that so I don't have that secured there anymore, but it still doesn't move with the one bolt at the top and the hose flange with the clamp. No problems and I love it. It still gets the same airflow it used to too! Just wanted to let everyone know how I overcame an obstacle and how easy it was. Peace, Chris

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I would recommned it. It's well worth it and doesn't hurt anything. Word to the wise, make sure you clean out any dist fom the inside of the pipe from sawing before you reinstall. I got the hacksaw at the BX. If anyone lives here in K-Town and wants to borrow mine or have me do it for you just let me know when you want to meet and I can hook you up. I did it all with the car's jack. No lift required. Also, Jacksonjw81, I just PM'd you about the question you asked me... Later, Chris

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I hope you cleaned the shavings off the inside of the intake VERY WELL.. I assume you did but if you didn't you will damage your turbo. When I got the K&N from the factory it had crap inside too.

·
SRT Forums Veteran
1,198 Posts
The AEM comes with a splash gaurd that keeps water from soaking the air filter, of course you have to worry about the intake clearing the hood with the AEM...

You might want to make sure the filter is on tight and that it won't fall off the tube from heat, dumps, and time. It might help to bend the end of the tube out a little to help keep the filter from slidding off... Just an idea and a heads up.........

·
Registered
8,059 Posts
schmauch said:
The AEM comes with a splash gaurd that keeps water from soaking the air filter, of course you have to worry about the intake clearing the hood with the AEM...

You might want to make sure the filter is on tight and that it won't fall off the tube from heat, dumps, and time. It might help to bend the end of the tube out a little to help keep the filter from slidding off... Just an idea and a heads up.........
HA! I was worried about that for a while, but I tightened that mofo up TIGHT. It's not coming off until _I_ take it off.
And while I changing my oil this kid brings in a Firebird that he just bought and he didn't know jack and/or shit about his car. He kept asking me where all the oil check points were in his car (power steering, tranny, oil, washer, coolant, etc) and he didn't even know how to take his own air filter off! I mean, c'mon, the internet is EVERYWHERE nowadays. The previous owner had installed a K&N air filter as a drop-in replacement for the stock filter a while back and he was asking me how he changes it out....YOU DON'T you friggin' idiot! Read the little sticker RIGHT THERE! It's a non-disposable one. You just clean it out. Christ, when I was buying my SRT-4 I spent literally MONTHS researching the car and small engines with turbo and superchargers so I wouldn't look like a complete ass asking questions (now I just look like a half-ass moron, so that's an improvement).
So yeah, some of the questions in here could be a lot worse. This one is a fairly common question just due to the newness of the vehicle (only 2 years old now?) and the fact that the person asking it isn't entirely comfortable with his knowledge on the subject yet. But he will learn more and more, and we will all learn more and more and we'll be helping other people out more and more. But what do I know? I'm a half-ass moron.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Chris, I might just take you up on that offer. My one concern is snow. When I'm at work and there is snow building up around that area, I don't want to have to clear it every time. If your set up won't suck up snow, then I'm game. I believe I'm coming up to that area in 2 weeks so maybe we could get a couple SRT's together.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mr_Bojangles80 said:
Chris, I might just take you up on that offer. My one concern is snow. When I'm at work and there is snow building up around that area, I don't want to have to clear it every time. If your set up won't suck up snow, then I'm game. I believe I'm coming up to that area in 2 weeks so maybe we could get a couple SRT's together.
Cool, I can hook you and anyone else up who wants to make their rediculously low CAI shorter without going a full short ram. I am not worried about snow or rain anymore. Now, if the puddle is 2 feet or more deep I will not be crossing that pond, but for normal driving it's much safer. Let me know when and where. Later, Chris

·
Registered
926 Posts
You guys know you wont suck water into your intake unless you completely submerge the WHOLE filter in the water.. You could physically spray your filter with a water hose and wont suck up any water..
Air is lighter than water and if water hits the front of the filter. The backside will suck in air.
So in conclusion you just modded your intake so you wont suck up water unless you drive into a lake..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.