Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
crank shaft/ DRIVESHAFT broke in half at 22000.

The dealer says its not going to cover. hey are trying to tell me that I drove it too hard.
Time to call BBB and a lawyer i guess. :ninja:
once I bend them over Ill show them how hard I can really drive.

P.S. What does the community think of this crap, are they righy?
Im still under warrenty. Also does anyone know how much torque a crank shaft made for these cars can handle?

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
OWN3D said:
The dealer says its not going to cover. hey are trying to tell me that I drove it too hard.
Time to call BBB and a lawyer i guess. :ninja:
once I bend them over Ill show them how hard I can really drive.

P.S. What does the community think of this crap, are they righy?
Im still under warrenty. Also does anyone know how much torque a crank shaft made for these cars can handle?
Well Cox uses stock cranks I believe...and he is running well over 1000hp :), are they SURE its the crank??

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats what they told me. The mechanic was shocked he said. He had never seen one break like that. I think it was flawed from the getgo..

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
OWN3D said:
thats what they told me. The mechanic was shocked he said. He had never seen one break like that. I think it was flawed from the getgo..
I am doubting its the crank, it simply does not make any sense for it to fail unless you were VERY modded or it was a manufacturing defect (which would have showed up earlier than 22000miles IMO).
Something is not right, what exactly happened to the car and when if you do not mind sharing the details!

Regardless this WILL be covered under your waranty!

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
Have you asked them to define "drove it too hard"

Overrevved? Made too much power? Too high a speed? What proof do they have of any of this? Video? Datalogs from the car?

This is the same excuse they used on the kid whos car burned after a dealer tech botched the install of a Mopar BOV.

Tell them now that you want every thing they say in writing, and refuse to communicate any other way. Becuase you see this going in a legal direction now and want to cover yourself. If they refuse, mention that that makes them look very bad.

Do remain calm and courteus.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your car. It sounds like they are claiming you abused the car. Did they say how they came to this conclusion? Do you have many mods? If your experience with your dealership and DCX is anything like mine, be prepared for the long haul. I'm guessing they'll make one excuse after the next. After that comes the "Chrysler says we can't cover your car under warranty, sorry it's out of our hands."

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
glhs837 said:
Have you asked them to define "drove it too hard"

Overrevved? Made too much power? Too high a speed? What proof do they have of any of this? Video? Datalogs from the car?

This is the same excuse they used on the kid whos car burned after a dealer tech botched the install of a Mopar BOV.

Tell them now that you want every thing they say in writing, and refuse to communicate any other way. Becuase you see this going in a legal direction now and want to cover yourself. If they refuse, mention that that makes them look very bad.

Do remain calm and courteus.
good advice i've had my way with nissan and he is right remain calm and courteus. but please do give us some more information. the exact diagnosis. maybe scan the shop slip. ask them to show you specifically, you are entitled. do you have mods on the car? did you over rev( even though that wouldn't do it soley ). are you pushing lots of power? if it is the crank than you had to have had a defective one, you'd be the first i'm reading about. please give us more information about the situation i am no very curious. how it happened/when. mods. exact dealer explination.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
You would have to run 500 shot of nos or something plus some to snap that crank.

The only damage you can do to the crank is due to poor lubrication, i dont see anything else causing it to take a dump. Speaking of dump, sounds like your dealer is one.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Are you sure this is no joke? Sounds fishy. If it is real, then these voiding of warranties is getting way out of hand.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well lets start off with the 2 week of owning the car. I took it back to the dealer, when I herd a strange noise coming from the front driver side ( like a winding noise.) of the engine. When I got to the dealer, a manager and my self took it for a drive. ( As you would have guessed, the car didn't make that odd sound) I told him the sound was sporadic and not consistent. his reply was "Bring it back when the noise is more frequent, I can't have a mechanic tear the engine apart, with out knowing what were looking for".

Now lets fast forward to a couple of days ago. I was on my way home from work, when I herd and felt a snap. The snap happen as I was making a left turn. after the snap I noticed there was a slight pulling to the right. As I came to my street, I made a right turn and POP, a loud ass crack and grinding was coming from my car( no pulling though). Once I put the car in neutral it stopped. I rolled up to the sidewalk and sat there thinking what it could be. When I pushed the clutch in and slipped it into 1 gear, it was fine. As I slowly let off the clutch the grinding noise would start. The more I released the clutch the louder the grind got.

Now what the mechanic told me, I have already shared above. As far as mod go, I have a couple, Nothing extreme.
STOP THE PRESS. I just got a call from the manager. As luck would have it, he's the same man that drove my car the first time I took it in.
Bottom line hes going to repare it under warranty.
It wasn't easy though. I had to remind him of driving my car, and of my uncle the lawyer.
I should have my car back in two days.

Little foot note. this happen on THURSDAY NIGHT. They just looked at my car today. It will be fixed in a couple more days. About 6 days total no car, and bull shit about warranty issues to add to it to. with no loaner car to offer or even splitting the bill with me for a rent a car. Im not happy at all, Just glad I didn't half to go to court.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Agreed, I fail to see how a crank would make your car pull to the left...also, the crank doesn't stop spinning when you put the tranny in neutral.

·
Registered
717 Posts
wow, the engine was running with a broken crank? amazing!

·
Registered
639 Posts
someone needs to take "Car 101".

1 - 20 of 37 Posts