Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since l put the engine back in the car, l have had a problem with the power steering/AC belt coming off. I'm not talking about eventually slipping off, l'm talking about as soon as l start the car, the belt comes right off. Upon close inspection, l realize that the crank pulley is not in line with the PS/AC pulleys. Is there anything I can do to align the pulleys without taking the engine out again?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
dubgunit said:
Ever since l put the engine back in the car, l have had a problem with the power steering/AC belt coming off. I'm not talking about eventually slipping off, l'm talking about as soon as l start the car, the belt comes right off. Upon close inspection, l realize that the crank pulley is not in line with the PS/AC pulleys. Is there anything I can do to align the pulleys without taking the engine out again?
Just raise the right front and take the tire off, the inner fender liner and you will have access to the crank pulley.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bigdoggsrt4 said:
Just raise the right front and take the tire off, the inner fender liner and you will have access to the crank pulley.
I know how to access the pulley, l'm trying to get it to line up with the other pulleys, it sticks out too far.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe l should be more clear, the engine is completely reassymbled and in the car. The crank pulley sticks out slightly more than the other pulleys therefore it's not aligned with the other pulleys and causes the belt to come off when it rotates.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,408 Posts
put car in fifth gear, brakes on, air ratchet the crank bolt until it moves into position.....

might not have to puther in 5th/brakes on...

the crank likes to turn when you put a lot of torque on it..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
dubgunit said:
Maybe l should be more clear, the engine is completely reassymbled and in the car. The crank pulley sticks out slightly more than the other pulleys therefore it's not aligned with the other pulleys and causes the belt to come off when it rotates.
Yeah just stick a air gun on it till it goes all the way on.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,828 Posts
I all honesty, the way to put on the pulley is with a install tool. Don't fuking hammer anything on a crankshaft snout. It will take out your thrust bearing!!! :readclose You need to get a snap on tool, or rent it from autozone. The puller & installer make it a 5 minute job, with just the turn of a wrench and it slides on\off. If you try to just tighten the bolt, you'll find yourself stripping threads, because the force to push it on is in excess of 100ft LBS that the bolt isn't rated for. But when threaded into the snout, all the way with the install tool, it's simply slides on. Do it right, or have it your way. There's a tool for every job, you wouldn't change your plugs with a hammer would you??? Then why start with a crankshaft pulley. If its on there, and already torqued the crankshaft bolt to spec, but it's not on all the way. Take out the bolt, and you can find a 8-10inch length of the same thread, 1.25 I think. A handful of washers, 3 big nuts that fit on the length of threaded bar. Thread the bar into the snout, washers, and a nut. Use the other 2 backed on to theirselfs. It will allow you to hold the bar, and tighten the nut\washers on the pulley. A couple of easy turn later, it should be on there. I used it to install my pulley on my first gen this way. The nuts on the end will allow you to remove the bar fron the snout, then retorque the bolt. Done. My new pulley was easily removed with a harmonic balancer puller, I already had. The stock came off with a 3 jaw puller.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top