Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to give history on the car at the end.

I was coming up to a turn, in 2nd gear, at about 3,500 RPMs. I was allowing the car to decelerate(engine brake) because the light was red, but I knew it was going to turn green by the time I got to it. Well, it did, and I started turning left. I had down my window, and I heard a very loud/very sharp POP come from what sounded like the Drivers side under the hood. It was loud and DEFINITELY not the pleasant pops/burbles one normally recieves when decelerating(though those were definitely present at the time) It was just insanely loud and had to have come from under the hood. I've never had this happen to me before, and not to the wife as far as I know. Went easy on the car but noticed no change.

Earlier the same day, I was sitting at a light. I have an extremely strict regime I use with my car when I first start it up. I don't allow any A/C, boost, or high revs until the car is thoroughly warmed up, i.e. sitting at it's normal 200 or so Degrees. However, this day, I was sitting at the light that's, quite literally, 0.1 miles from where I live. The car was sitting pretty low on the temp, probably the first 1/4 section line(160-180?) but it was freakin hot, so I said "What the hell, it's hot and I'm turning on the A/C." Please note, that when my car DOES reach acceptable temps, I usually turn on Pass-Through(?) A/C first, with the fan control one click to the left from the lil fan pic(off), then once it starts getting cold, I turn on Recirculate and turn up the fan. Well, I did the one click left, with the pass-through, and after about 10 seconds, I heard and felt a humungous WHAM throughout the car. I'm not a very skilled car troubleshooter guy(computers are a different story) so I'm venturing here, but I assume the block was opening itself up for coolant. But good god, it sounded and FELT like someone had closed a castle portcullis inside my engine bay. WH-WHAM and a shake. The guy next to me even looked over at me to see what the hell was going on. I honestly thought I got hit by the truck next to me. I ALMOST got out of my car. Plainly put, it didn't feel healthy at all. Any ideas there?

Car History:
Only problem I've had was P0123(cylinder misfire?) that was cured by my dealership replacing the fuel injector under warranty. Now, this was a while back, probably when I had about 10,000 miles or less on it. I now have 21,000+ miles on it. Everything is stock except the tires. Maybe I need to change out the spark plugs for the pop? But for the A/C thing, I don't know.
I've owned my car for less than a year, MAYBE 6 months. Perhaps I'm putting too many miles on too fast? I really have backed off of it since putting 10,000 on it within a couple months of owning it.

Oh well, thanks in advance for any input or advice. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
It sounds like your A/C compressor turining on. We run solid mounts on our cars and you can really hear and FEEL it when it kicks on.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's good to hear. As far as the other goes, I don't remember the difference between an afterfire or a backfire, but I'm sure it was one of the two. I haven't had it happen since but I'm just worried if that would cause any problems in the engine, or could be an indication of problems to come, or things I need to have the dealership do maintenance wise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts