Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I threw a code for a bad thermostat. I had noticed that my coolant temps werent getting to 200F under normal driving. I was running 165-170. I suspected someone may have put a colder thermostat in the car, so I got a standard thermostat for the car (190F or so?) and installed it.

The car was immediately better, running right around 200 and warming up quicker. After driving it a week or so, the CEL came back on one day. It had started running too cool again. I suspected that something was clogging the thermostat preventing it from closing off properly. I began looking into cooling system flushes.

I stumbled on a product called Thermocure (Amazon). I read about it, and read dozens of reviews. The stuff is basically Evaporust that you can put in your cooling system to dissolve rust. If you have never used evaporust, it's crazy stuff. Drop a super rusty bolt in the liquid, come back in a day, and it's spotless - all the rust dissolves into the liquid.

My car is apart and on jack stands, so I got some Thermocure and began the job. Drain coolant, flush with water until the antifreeze is out and its just water. Drain and pour in Thermocure, and fill up with water. I am just using tap water until I flush out the thermocure, then I will flush with distilled and fill with distilled and Zerex when done.

So I poured the stuff in and filled it up with water. Left for the night, and came back last night. Having never even ran the car yet, this is what the water looked like after sitting for almost 24 hours.

So I started the car and let it run till it got hot. This is what it looked light after running for just a couple mins.

And this is after the water started steaming before I shut off the engine.

It's almost totally black! Cant really see in the pics, but there are some little black specks of stuff flowing too.

You can leave this stuff in for days and drive the car (I can't because it's below freezing). So I may update after a couple more days and heat cycles.
I just thought some here would like to know about this product. Seems to do a great job of removing rust and gunk from iron block water jackets. If I ever got an engine from a junk yard that may have sat outside for who knows how long, I would definitely use Thermocure to remove the rust before pouring in new coolant. Hopefully this solves my thermostat issue.

Supposedly, this chemical is non toxic, and biodegradable too so you don't have to worry as much about your cat or dog finding it. When done, I will need to use water to flush out repeatedly before adding new coolant.

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
did you ever get around to flushing this stuff out and seeing how the fluid looked after all?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I hadn't followed up cuz it didn't seem like anyone was interested. I'll post up the pics in a few mins. The stuff came out and looked exactly like soy sauce. I flushed the system with water a few times till it was coming out clear but there was still some tiny flakes. I need to get the timing belt done sometime so I figure when the coolant comes out for that job that should flush out the rest of the gunk. The little flakes are soft. When I would grab them they would just smear between my fingers, it's like soft chunks of rust.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my car is leaking oil pretty bad, obviously. You can see it behind the jugs. I think that's coming from the cam or crank seals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts