Dodge SRT Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,373 Posts
Thats normal. The only thing i could think of is air in the system, but you said you have not seen any air.. So idk...

·
Forum Moderator
5,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
i mean when the coolant was flowing out of the neck it was coming up so rapidly that there was a cavity on the side. Idk if it was from air pushing out, or from air sucking in.... but before that there were no bubbles.

The car may be 100% fine, and I may just be paranoid.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Thats normal. The only thing i could think of is air in the system, but you said you have not seen any air.. So idk...
X2 about that being normal. Blows water out like that with the motor cold. My vote is for the headgasket.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Haha it only gets hot when it blows the coolant out when I boost. I have a 22psi cap and when I take it off it sounds like I opened a 2 liter of pepsi. It actually replaces the water with compressed air. Plus my car makes almost no vacuum now

·
Premium Member
4,373 Posts
no overheating.

haven't driven the care in about 1.5 months, but I would assume it still spits coolant...

I may drive it tomorrow.
Well let us know how it does man..

Haha it only gets hot when it blows the coolant out when I boost. I have a 22psi cap and when I take it off it sounds like I opened a 2 liter of pepsi. It actually replaces the water with compressed air. Plus my car makes almost no vacuum now
Busted hg maybe?

I had this happen 3 or 4 times when I got the car pushin 18 psi on stocker with stg 2 WGA, has not happened since...
Do you even know what we are talking about.?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
YES I understand the concept, I'm just stating this happend to me a few times about 6 months ago and has since never happened.. Do you understand?

·
Premium Member
4,373 Posts
that is a good idea.. because if it has a busted Headgasket you will know asap.. If not then you will be releaved.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Mine has done this a few times in two scenarios:

Car had an air pocket in the coolant system (These can be a PITA to get rid of)
Bad thermostat and/or radiator cap

I replaced my headgasket and my issue was not solved until I was able to properly bleed the system and replaced the cap/termostat. It has not happened since.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I'm sure mine is the HG. I pressure tested the cooling system to 30 psi and it held, but when I boost the water pushes out and fills with air. My overflow tank pisses all over the place...its pretty irritating but I have 2 spare motors so I'll be putting one together soon.

·
Forum Moderator
5,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Some Results from the cooling system pressure test:

Radiator Cap: PASSED

With the car cold:

Start Pressure: 20 psi
End Pressure: 15 psi
Time Elapsed: ~1hr
* it may be possible the tester leaked a bit, b/c it leaked like hell at first and i tried to "repair" it best I could and after that I couldn't see/hear any leaking from the tester.

Cold start allowing the car to run up to operating temp (didn't get there):

Start Pressure: 0psi
Temp 160*: 15psi
Temp 170*: 17.5 psi
Temp 180*: 20 psi
End

Never made it to the fans coming on b/c around 20 psi the tester popped out of the thermostat housing neck. The kit I rented did not have a locking cap the correct size, so I had to use one of the rubber stopper style plugs.

I am gonna try to find a rental Block tester/Combustion Leak tester. Might have to just buy one.

·
Forum Moderator
5,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Block Leak Tester results:

PASSED! (best I could tell)

Basically the dye never changed to green/yellow. but after the engine got close to 200 (before the fans), the coolant would again surge up the thermostat neck to the point of overflowing if I didn't turn the engine off.... is that weird? normal?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Yes, for the very first time in 18 yrs owning the car… 😁

21 - 40 of 42 Posts