Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
X2 on head gasket, especially if you hear bubbling when you turn off the ignition and the overflow is emptying out.

·
Registered
613 Posts
When my car was doing that, I had a small coolant leak and possibly a bad thermostat. Due to some work, I had to take off the rubber coolant hose by the cam position sensor. After breaking the 100,000+ mile bond between the rubber coolant hose and metal tubing, it just wouldn't seal up any more even with the clamp in the same exact position. After a new hose and a new thermostat were put in, my problem disappeared.

·
Forum Moderator
5,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im leaning towards the head gasket, and maybe stretched bolts. I figure ill take care of both when im in there

ARP headstuds and what gasket? im thinking probably stock.

Doug, any local places you would recommend to do that? I don't think I feel like doing it myself.

·
Premium Member
4,373 Posts
i dont know how many miles are on your car but we replaced timing belt, water pump, ect when we replaced my wifes headgasket.. Her car was doing the same thing leaking water out of the overflow..

·
Forum Moderator
5,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i dont know how many miles are on your car but we replaced timing belt, water pump, ect when we replaced my wifes headgasket.. Her car was doing the same thing leaking water out of the overflow..
55k on the car now. ya, im considering the water pump and timing belt. Ill probably do em both while im in there.

also, my compression hasn't really dropped, but i noticed that the ejecting of coolant is more obvious under high load and WOT.... makes me feel like the bolts are stretched/gasket.

-Keegan

·
Registered
146 Posts
This was what happened to me when my headgasket failed! Coolant would piss out all over the place under wot. Unfortunately I didn't notice so quickly and got a real bad overheat.

·
Premium Member
4,373 Posts
55k on the car now. ya, im considering the water pump and timing belt. Ill probably do em both while im in there.

also, my compression hasn't really dropped, but i noticed that the ejecting of coolant is more obvious under high load and WOT.... makes me feel like the bolts are stretched/gasket.

-Keegan
ya man my wifes car would only do it when she cut it off.. i did a compression check and it was 155 110 110 160.. So our problem was the hg, and we put in arp studs.. good luck man.

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
Same shit goin on with my car right now, trust me it's your headgasket I've tried everything else.

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
Should be doin mine next week or so hopefully, seems like I never have time for the car anymore!

·
Forum Moderator
5,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
UPDATE:

I took the radiator cap off and let the car run from cold until about 190*F.

It seemed fine at start, no bubbles.

As the car got right about 190* it started spewing out coolant pretty bad. I couldn't see any visible bubbles but it did seemed like there was a lot of air pushing it out (again, no bubbles).

I had to cut the car off after that, it did not get hot enough for the fans to come on.

Does this help anyone troubleshoot?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts