Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so, im changing out my rack and pinion, and control arm bushings while im at it. All was going well :clap:until i got to the last bolt on the passanger side rear control arm bolt ( the big one that mounts the arm and cross-member to the frame rail). The bolt broke loose but then so did the nut!:tongue:!! The nut is inside the frame rail and i could only access it by cutting up my floor board. :ninja:It wasnt a regular nut, but a square chunk of metal. However i cant get anything on it like vicegrips or a wrench because it is surrounded by a dome like metal flange. I am at a loss here.:ahahahaha I dont know if there is a special tool to use on it or what. I was thinking of just cutting the damn bolt off with a cutting wheel or sawzaw. Should i just try to weld it back into place? Has anyone had this problem? Someone help!! I am just really fed up with working on this car:ben:

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I'm not fully understanding what's going on...

From what you said;
-The bolt that connects the rear control arm to the frame is a problem.
-The problem is that the nut is stripped (?)
-The nut is inside the frame rail (?)

Part that I'm confused is....
If its the REAR control arm, the nut is not inside the frame rail. The nut is completely visible and easy to reach.
If you meant to say FRONT control arm (since your changing your rack and pinion), I would like to know if it's the vertical bolt or horizontal bolt. The vertical nut (that goes straight up) I believe is threaded on the inside. I am not sure if there is a nut there, and if there is, it should have some sort of welded on stop plate so it can stop spinning.

Pictures and some more info would be appreciated if you need more help.
Stripping bolts/nuts in very difficult areas that you described is a real pain in the ass. I had a similar encounter with my top motor mount bolt. Good luck and be patient!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah its the rear bolt on the front control arm, the veritcal one. It looks like it has a stopping mechanism on it to keep it from spinning but it isnt grabbing it. I am gonna have a friend weld it into place to see if that will hold it. ill see how it goes

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update on front vertical control arm bolt: So i had my buddy come over and just tack weld the nut to the frame rail. The bolt backed right out of the nut and the nut is securely fastened now. My concern, along with many that i have with this car, is why would dodge put a car together like this? Why is it so difficult to get to this nut? I had to cut through my floorboard and weld the nut!! I just dont think it was thought through very well, like the whole front wheel drive deal!! Shoulda been an awd atleast! but after all the hastle and work, i still wouldnt trade my blackbaby in!! So if anyone has this problem, just cut into the floorboard where there is an indented circle (about the sz of a soda can top) with a cuttoff wheel and just tack the nut back into place!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am dealing with this exact situation right now. Passenger side, same bolt. My advice to anyone about to replace their control arms is to drill a hole from inside the wheel well, or in the floor pan so that you can spray blaster on the bolt/nut on the inside. I would spray it several times over a period of days or weeks before starting the job. Definitely want to let that thing soak to avoid this problem. In my case, the bolt backed out almost the whole way before the nut started spinning. It's a real bummer!

·
Premium Member
4,261 Posts
A lot of people have had this problem. It is especially more apparent in northern cars which have seen salt in the winter. My southern car has had zero issues with this.

·
Registered
41 Posts
last night I managed to get this bolt out. I cut a small hole in the wheel well to access the captured nut. warmed it up with a torch a couple times while using an impact. It came out easy after heating it up. I will weld a cover over the hole and cover it up with undercoating. Took the knuckle off for a new wheel bearing. Once that's pressed in I'll install that, a new axle, and the new lower control arm and the front end will all be new.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That’s awesome - how did you cut the hole in the wheel well? What tool did you use. Also can you please send a picture of exactly where and size. Did you do same or can I potentially do the same for the drivers side?

·
Premium Member
4,261 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thank you - I cut the floor easy and going well so far - I see the capture bolt it doesn’t look as rusted as the other threads. Gonna heat and spray PD thank you man

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Thank you - I cut the floor easy and going well so far - I see the capture bolt it doesn’t look as rusted as the other threads. Gonna heat and spray PD thank you man
When this happened to me a few years ago, I had a bit of 1/4" steel welded on to that nut to make it rectangular so it won't spin again. (I know those threads look a little iffy, but it still torqued to the proper value.)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Here baby bird, I’ll feed you.
Hello gump 1114. Did the job wow drives amazing one more thing. When the car get hot - driving around a lot it will not go into first or reverse. I shut car off and it goes easy. I drained atf 4 transmission fluid and put mobile one high mileage 5 30. Did not test drive and test overall yet. I wanted to post a thread to everyone describing the ball joints - mine were factory original and bad - they are spot welded that needs to be grinder first and then pressed out is this normal - the little welds. Thank you- need summer tires cheap now!!!
Also ps. - it’s hot here in Canada now 32 degrees - so all day In traffic car runs 93 or a touch more feels running hot. As I drive around it lowers its past half. Maybe 95 but always Lowers In motion. I can’t tell if and when my fans turn on. How or should I buy a switch which turn them on when I want with the toggle switch. Let’s say in traffic. Thanks. A how to - of wiring this up on my fans please If someone can help. My fans spin and work I tested them out of the car.
Thank you-

·
Premium Member
4,261 Posts
Hello gump 1114. Did the job wow drives amazing one more thing. When the car get hot - driving around a lot it will not go into first or reverse. I shut car off and it goes easy. I drained atf 4 transmission fluid and put mobile one high mileage 5 30. Did not test drive and test overall yet. I wanted to post a thread to everyone describing the ball joints - mine were factory original and bad - they are spot welded that needs to be grinder first and then pressed out is this normal - the little welds. Thank you- need summer tires cheap now!!!
Also ps. - it’s hot here in Canada now 32 degrees - so all day In traffic car runs 93 or a touch more feels running hot. As I drive around it lowers its past half. Maybe 95 but always Lowers In motion. I can’t tell if and when my fans turn on. How or should I buy a switch which turn them on when I want with the toggle switch. Let’s say in traffic. Thanks. A how to - of wiring this up on my fans please If someone can help. My fans spin and work I tested them out of the car.
Thank you-
Canadians and their Celsius....
also LOL at thinking its hot up there... you've never felt your balls stick to your legs the way we do down here in the southern USA...

Those temperatures seem normal to me. If you want it to run a bit cooler, you can throw a 180 degree (tha'ts Fahrenheit) thermostat in and do a fan mod (if you search, there are several different ways to do it).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hahah thanks man. I gotta dyno this car - took it for the first real test drive today. Tons of people looking and jaw dropping they are mesmerized seeing it. Wow I pushed it slightly 2 times. It is faster than my corvette feels like. Actually scary to control - I really don’t know what’s up with the engine or the turbo but it’s like 350 hp easy. It’s a little scary to control actually. I could see easily crashing it if someone wasn’t careful.

·
Premium Member
4,261 Posts
Hahah thanks man. I gotta dyno this car - took it for the first real test drive today. Tons of people looking and jaw dropping they are mesmerized seeing it. Wow I pushed it slightly 2 times. It is faster than my corvette feels like. Actually scary to control - I really don’t know what’s up with the engine or the turbo but it’s like 350 hp easy. It’s a little scary to control actually. I could see easily crashing it if someone wasn’t careful.
which is why these cars become more rare almost daily...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts