Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've been pretty pissed at my SRT-4 lately. It has 6,400 miles on it, and it has broken down on me twice. (stupid fuse blowing thing) Dealer fixed it once, and then it broke down again. Now its been sitting at the dealer for nearly 3 weeks waiting on a new "wiring harness" or something. It's SUPPOSED to be done tomorrow, but I doubt it. The stitching on the inset of the drivers seat has also come up already. Needless to say, considering the car has less than 10k miles, I'm not very happy about any of this.

Anyway, so I was with my dad while he was test driving a new F-150. I saw they had a laser red '99 Mustang Cobra coupe on the lot. So asked the salesman if he could get the keys. It's in very good shape with 65k miles and leather interior, and the previous owner obviously took good care of it. So I took it out for a test drive. It was alot different from my old '96 GT I had, and obviously totally different from an SRT-4. 1st and 2nd gear are so much nastier than the SRT. It just squats and rolls down the road when you hit it. And with a 6,800 RPM redline, it screams. It definately ran strong and shifted crisply. It throws you back in the seat pretty hard. Driving it just reminded me of how much I missed rear wheel drive and the instant power of a n/a V8. Not to mention the sound. :eveilgrin

Another thing I really like about the Cobra is how few there are. That's the initial feeling I had when I got my SRT, but now they are becoming more and more common, and having one isn't even a big deal anymore. On the other hand, there was only aprox. 1,200 red Cobras produced in 1999, and only 4,600 altogether.

I have no idea what I'm going to do yet, but I am thinking about it alot. The trade in on my SRT and the value of the Cobra are almost identical.

·
Registered
9,151 Posts
if you like it go fot it :)

i think rwd> fwd any time of the week, but im not a fan of the mustang look really. depends what you want

·
Registered
536 Posts
get it dude..Your car has been at browns so much its starting to piss ME off. I will tell you what they will give you for your car, 14k. Thats it. SO if you do, I hope you are prepaired for that loss. IM me~David

·
Registered
796 Posts
belvedere383 said:
The cobra is faster, has a hundred more horsepower, and it's way cooler
maybe you mean 03 and up cobras have a hundred more hp? the NA ones are were round 260 i believe. they are def over rated. i know because my dad owned a 98 and my five slow rapes modded ones on a regular basis... now a 93 cobra would be awesome!!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Cobra

Epix said:
maybe you mean 03 and up cobras have a hundred more hp? the NA ones are were round 260 i believe. they are def over rated. i know because my dad owned a 98 and my five slow rapes modded ones on a regular basis... now a 93 cobra would be awesome!!!

Wow, you know nothing about cars, the 99 Cobra had the 32 valve, DOHC 4.6, rated at 320 horspower, which is exactly 100 more horspower than my friends 04 SRT. The Cobra is faster so get over it!

·
Registered
536 Posts
belvedere383 said:
Wow, you know nothing about cars, the 99 Cobra had the 32 valve, DOHC 4.6, rated at 320 horspower, which is exactly 100 more horspower than my friends 04 SRT. The Cobra is faster so get over it!
RUN Belvedere RUUUUUNNNNNNN!!!!!!!
you know what happens to people who say the SRT-4 isnt the fastest car on the planet :banned:

·
Registered
741 Posts
belvedere383 said:
The cobra is faster, has a hundred more horsepower, and it's way cooler
Nope, actually it's about 42hp at the wheels. The 2003 and newer cobras are the ones with big hp. The '99 are rated at 320 at the crank.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
I always heard those types of Cobra's 99-02 break alot and had recalls and were underrated and stuff. Either get an 03-04 Cobra or like a real old one, or don't get one at all.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Epix said:
This guy more on the ball than the other.
:readclose Lookie here:http://www.dynoperformance.com/search_details.php?ID=675

·
Registered
86 Posts
Scarface

Hey scarface, whats up, just wanted to let you know i'm Foxmustang02's roomate, but i will race anyone in this forum, minus the extreme SRT's, has anyone read my signature, just so you know the old plymouth will rip all of my friends SRT's a new ass, ESPECIALY FROM A ROLL!
HAHAHAHA

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Stay with the SRT. My buddy bought an 01 Cobra thinking he was all badass til we raced and I beat him, both from a roll and a dig. He is now thinking of getting rid of it and getting an 05 SRT. lol

·
Registered
536 Posts
belvedere383 said:
Hey scarface, whats up, just wanted to let you know i'm Foxmustang02's roomate, but i will race anyone in this forum, minus the extreme SRT's, has anyone read my signature, just so you know the old plymouth will rip all of my friends SRT's a new ass, ESPECIALY FROM A ROLL!
HAHAHAHA

Yeah I kinda had a fealing thats who you were :jester: Im with you, My srt is giving me so many problems Im thinking of going back to my 67 dodge cornet 440

·
Registered
86 Posts
Get over it

I never said that the HP was at the wheels i said it was RATED at 320, which isnt far off, and with a set of gears that would rape most SRT's on this site. Not saying SRT's arent fast. But i have two friends with them, and i see them get beat all of the time. I'm just saying they aren't as fast as that cobra, Hell they arent as fast as most well built V-8 cars(You know what I'm talking About). Anyway the SRT is a good car but there are a lot of problems with it and the i think he would be happier with the Cobra.

Oh and it is a 99, dont even start with me because i have a Mustang Encyclopedia for a roomate, it is a 99, and the Cobra Driver sucked.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.