Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I spent the rest of the afternoon installing urethane bushings on the front and rear control arms. What a PITA, I had forgotten how nasty of a job that is. First of all, driving impressions, the car feels much more solid, I can take turns faster, and the NVH isn't much worse. On the freeway it is a bit annoying, the suspension tracks the road and makes the ride a little rough, not to bad. The interesting thing is, it counter acts the improvement in corner exit acceleration I noticed with just the swaybar mounts and endlinks. I can only guess that before I instaled the control arm mounts that the softer rubber let the car "squat" a little more while the swaybar was stiffer due to the urethane. Now that all the mounts are solid, it makes the weaker swaybar more apparent. Irregardless, the car is faster in the corners.

As far as the install, a torch is MANDATORY, you do not want to do it without one. I put the car up on four jacks(make sure you loosen the lug nuts first :roll: ), and started on the drivers front. I pulled off one wheel at a time as I worked on that particular corner. Loosen the swaybar mounts, with the bar down about an inch you can unbolt the endlink on the control arm easier. Two large bolts later, the control arm is loose. With the wheel removed you can actually swing the control arm out from under the car on the front for safer torching. You can use a C-clamp to press out the long round bushing if you are so inclined. Be careful when removing and replacing the control arm, you could easily tear the cv boot. The passenger side is a bit harder, as you need to remove the lower motor mount. Moving to the back, you again need to remove the wheel. The control arms on the back come off easier, but there is more burning involved. Helpful hint, when torching, start on the side of the metal sleeve, and hold it there for a bit, the rubber will start squirting out when it gets hot. Work your way around and keep the heat up and most of the rubber will burn out. Watch out, it can pop and the fragments will keep burning. Keep a water hose handy. The new bushings are totally different than the ones you removed, thats a good thing, read the instructions a few time with all the parts right there so you can be sure you put it together properly. Drop the car off the jacks, double check the log nuts, and test drive. Smile while cornering. Note: your alignment WILL be off, schedule an alignment asap. I would have posted pics, but that damn grease got every where and I didnt want it on the camera. It took me about 4 hours or so by myself, but I took my time. With more people and air tools it would go faster. (I have air tools, but my son has taking a nap. :roll: )

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.