Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am horribly sorry if this is a repost or if it is old news, but this morning I saw the "new to me" chevy commercial for the cobalt. I found it amusing because it kinda portrayed the corvette the way I think of the viper to our car, only chevy used this as a marketing tool which I thought was great. If you havent seen the commercial, there is a red cobalt behind a red vette at a light and the cobalt keeps rear ending the vette, just giving it little love taps to the bumper kinda egging it on (like a little brother) then finally the vette burns out and does a quick 180 to face the cobalt kinda to put it in check, I just really liked it. Anyone else seen this or have thoughts? Or care to dish out lashings cause this is old news? I havent done much research, but anyone know what is to be expected of the cobalt?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think the Cobalt uses the same engine as the Ion Redline, but with a different tranny. No big deal really!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Early reports have the Cobalt SS with a supercharged 4 putting out 205hp.

Which isn't that great compared to some of the other cars available right now, but is still a pretty good whallop in a small car. And more importantly, it replaces the aging and disgusting Crapolier. That alone makes this vehicle worthy of praise.

The commercial kicks ass. Chevy has been doing some good ones lately (especially where the one where a 12-year-old kid is driving a Vette, getting it airborne and such, and it turns out it's just the kid playing with Matchbox cars imagining owning one... got pulled because it showed the car airborne with an underage driver... a bunch of bullshit based on the fact that apparently most people don't understand imagination and fun.)

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
When in gods name is this car going to come out? My local dealership told me September first at the latest.........um.......meanwhile back at the ranch, things are piling up.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
i thought the cobalt and redline had the same tranny..

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
ok...i just watched the commercials...interesting. i like the 3rd one when the vette gets pulled over and the Cobalt goes passing by. can't wait to see them on the roads to see what they can do in real-life situations

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
Like the "mouse speedometer" :) Must be nice to have commercials:) That actually get aired:)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Yeah but remember, have you ever seen an srt, evo, sti commercial? No and that's because the cars speaks for themselves. Chevy is basically saying this(the vette) is the car you really want but here, settle for this. The car like every other recent chevy product backs down from the competition in srt vs cobalt, lightning vs. ssr, vipervs vette

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
jigga_x said:
ok...i just watched the commercials...interesting. i like the 3rd one when the vette gets pulled over and the Cobalt goes passing by. can't wait to see them on the roads to see what they can do in real-life situations
We all know that Corvettes don't speed. It's the guys in econo-boxes with snazzy rims and big spoilers that the cops all pull over these days!

The joys of profiling :grimrippe

Just watched the commercials too - they look pretty good. GM is smart to take this marketing angle. Now all we need is an actual, real life Cobalt to actually hit a dealership in the nest six months. I think a lot of the J-body crowd is going to be surprised at the price jumps. Aveo SS anyone? :gay:

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
atomic said:
Yeah but remember, have you ever seen an srt, evo, sti commercial? No and that's because the cars speaks for themselves. Chevy is basically saying this(the vette) is the car you really want but here, settle for this. The car like every other recent chevy product backs down from the competition in srt vs cobalt, lightning vs. ssr, vipervs vette
I appreciate your perspective, but I highly doubt this was the angle GM was necessarily going for. Yes, they used it as an opportunity to yet again plug the vette (another car that speaks for itself) but at the same time gaining exposure and interest in the cobalt. I don't really know why Dodge doesn't advertise for the SRTs cause I cannot tell you how many people have no idea what my car is beyond a neon. I'd be willing to bet, althought I could be way off depending on the price, the cobalt will outsell the SRT-4. I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but GM does good advertising, there, thats what I meant. Regardless of actual bottom line performance measures, their cars get exposure and they sell because of it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
looks like a fun car from the commercials i want to testdrive/beat-on one

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
It's just a cavalier. :D

From what little I've read, along with the redlines, I'm not expecting much straight out of the box, but a few people mentioned the possibilities of ripping out the small SC for a turbo. Like us, give them time and I'm sure we'll see some nice things. Domestic competition is good.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Im still kinda confused why you would SC a 4 cylinder instead of turboing it. Doesn't that just put more stress on the motor to make the power the SC requires to give power back?

·
Registered
341 Posts
i like th comercial...but just cuz of the Vette....cobalt... :zzzz:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.