Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend and I were having a discussion about if you can put the car in neutral without depressing or pushing in the clutch. I should say I know you can but is it bad for the trans? For ex your driving in 5th gear and just put the car in netural without touching the clutch.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i do that a lot on acciednt when i don't press the clutch in all the way. i'm sure it's not good for the tranny but the owners manual says it's bad for the clutch to put it in neutral at higher speeds.(5th gear)

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Not that I would know for sure or that I have proof other than my own experience, but one time I did just drop it into neutral and it didn't sound right. For purposes of debate I cannot help you, for purposes of common sense, you aren't hurting anything by pushing in the clutch (what it's made for) so why not just do it and avoid the chance of causing unnecessary damage to the gears? If you don't push the clutch in, don't the gears just disengage from eachother on their own...slowly separating and increasing the pressure as the teeth slide out toward the edges before falling off into neutral? Maybe I have a skewed mental picture of the gears...anyone else?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
ryu said:
i do that a lot on acciednt when i don't press the clutch in all the way. i'm sure it's not good for the tranny but the owners book says it's bad for the clutch to put it in nuetral at higher speeds.(5th gear)
Why is that? Is it better to downshift than to drop it into neutral and use the breaks? I always just drop it into neutral and coast to lights and stops, I thought since the clutch wasnt engaged the car is just rolling and it wasnt putting any strain on the clutch...and I read the owners manuel...most of it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do the same thing like if I see the light turn red, I just put it in neutral and coast, but if I just need to down shift cause traffic is slowing I do that or just engage the clutch and break. I don't see anything wrong with that.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Scott -

I think I explained this to you before - if not, I thought Luke did. Technically you can just pull the shift lever out of gear and into neutral without using the clutch. That does not mean it is the right thing to do. Is it really that hard to use your clutch or are you just getting lazy?

As far as downshifting or leaving the car in gear as you come to a light with your foot on the clutch vs. putting the car in neutral when stopping - you can do it either way. I prefer to put it in neutral as I sit at a light to avoid any wear on the clutch that I can (even though sitting at a light does would not put any significant wear on your clutch over time).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts