Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been getting a clicking noise (05 SRT-4) when turning at slow speed from a stop. I can feel it in the steering wheel. Coming from a stop and with the steering wheel turned I get one "click" when accelerating. I've heard that it could be a bad axle/cv joint but if that's the case how can I tell which one is it? Ball joints are new, struts are ok as well as the swaybar and LCA bushings. Also the tie rod ends don't have any "play". Please help

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only get one "click" when turning. It's not constant nor do I hear a humming or grinding noise when driving. I turn the wheel, accelerate, get the "click" and that's it.

·
Registered
802 Posts
It's axels. I'm going through the exact same thing. I have replaced everything except them and I still get the click.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Im taking my car in friday, I too have a noise when turning - but only to the left and periodically if I accelerate from a stop really hard. It sounds like a clicking/knocking noise. When the car has more people in it, it's more noticeable. I will post back on what they find.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I've been getting a clicking noise (05 SRT-4) when turning at slow speed from a stop. I can feel it in the steering wheel. Coming from a stop and with the steering wheel turned I get one "click" when accelerating. I've heard that it could be a bad axle/cv joint but if that's the case how can I tell which one is it? Ball joints are new, struts are ok as well as the swaybar and LCA bushings. Also the tie rod ends don't have any "play". Please help
What did it end up being??

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ve been having the exact same issue mentioned here. I’m hesitant to take it to a shop that will just start throwing out things to replace. Anyone have ideas for what this issue really is?

I searched a lot and it seems like this is common on Neons, but most of the threads die off before a solid answer is provided for what the issue was. The clicking and feeling in the steering wheels is driving me nuts! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
a clicking while turning is almost always going to be an axle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks, good to know. Not sure if it matters or not, but what I experience is a single “click” or almost a “pop” that happens during a turn.

It seems to have started with the left turn, but now happens on both. I’ve noticed it doesn’t always do it if I’m stopped while turning.

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
Thanks, good to know. Not sure if it matters or not, but what I experience is a single “click” or almost a “pop” that happens during a turn.

It seems to have started with the left turn, but now happens on both. I’ve noticed it doesn’t always do it if I’m stopped while turning.
see this is where online diagnostics can be very limited. We can't hear or feel what you hear or feel.

that being said, an axle click noise is almost always going to happen when the vehicle is in motion and will click faster or slower depending on vehicle speed. If this is a click, or pop, or clunk or whatever you're hearing that happens while stopped, and it only happens once, I would lean away from the axle and more towards a tie rod end, ball joint or control arm bushing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gotcha, makes sense. Thanks for the help / info. I realize it’s tough only being able to go by what’s written here. Cheers!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts