Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:ninja: When is the best time to check the oil level in our cars? I just did my oil change with Mobil 1 (5 quarts), and I go to check it this morning after the car had sat the whole night and I am 3/4 of a quart low on the dipstick after only 1100 miles of driving? WTF, I have no oil leaks, a minimal amount every week in my catchcan, and I am not burning it at idle or at WOT? Gurus I need your help!

·
Registered
709 Posts
ths may sound stupid but is your car on a hill. I forget that alot with my car when i go and check it, because i am so use to parking on the hill.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Once you drain all oil and change your filter you need a full 5 qts. If you add 4.5 qts and have not started your car, the dip stick will indicate full.
Of course once you start the car the filter will fill and the oil galleries will fill. Now you look like you are down a quart.
Its really quite simple, a change with filter requires 5 qts.

·
Registered
709 Posts
also make sure the car has been off for a few minutes before checking to make sure all the oil has draining back into the pan.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I added in another quart and when the car is completely cold it sits right at the top of the oil line. So where is that extra quart going in 1100 Miles? I am not burning it, and some gets in the catch can? Is this normal?

·
Registered
741 Posts
All cars burn oil. You can't see it by looking at the exhaust but it happens. Specially thin oil like 5w30.

Percy

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
2tirefire said:
I added in another quart and when the car is completely cold it sits right at the top of the oil line. So where is that extra quart going in 1100 Miles? I am not burning it, and some gets in the catch can? Is this normal?
How do you know that you NEEDED a quart of oil? The dipstick does not have a mark for "full". Drain the oil, remove the filter, replace the drain plug, replace the filter with a new one, add 5 quarts of oil and go.

DON'T add more than 5 quarts! If you really want to be anal about it you could mark the dipstick with a "full" mark after the car sits overnight following an oil change. But why go to that much trouble?

·
SRTFORUM Moderator
23,153 Posts
May sound stupid, but i always add a littler more oil in. 2tenths of a quart. I change oil all the time at work, and sometimes we over fill them, but dosn't hurt nothing. ( Let the "your a dumb ass" questions begin) :eveilgrin

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
haljensen1 said:
How do you know that you NEEDED a quart of oil? The dipstick does not have a mark for "full". Drain the oil, remove the filter, replace the drain plug, replace the filter with a new one, add 5 quarts of oil and go.

DON'T add more than 5 quarts! If you really want to be anal about it you could mark the dipstick with a "full" mark after the car sits overnight following an oil change. But why go to that much trouble?
Between the Min and Max line that is representative of 1 quart I believe. Because I was down at the bottom line of the Min line and filled it with 1 quart which brought it up to the Max line. Please let me know if I am wrong but I believe I am right.

·
Registered
709 Posts
yes it does. I read it one of my neon owners manual, that if you are the min line, you are down one quart.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.