Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3k mile change was due and I was about 1 qt low. The local dealer ship has already done 4 engine swaps and all the engines that came in where at about 2qts of oil or so.

They also had the overboost codes etc. These where all kids who started to crank up the boost with out knowing whats going on. When you turn up the boost, you will have more pressure in the crank case which causes more oil to come out of the PCV . The catch can will help prevent the oil from entering your engine and causing extra carbon etc., but it will NOT prevent your oil from being consumed. It will still stay in the tank.

Oh yeah, its also normal for new engines to consume soem oil when its being broken in so some oil consumption is normal.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yeah that sponge is the breather for the valve cover. YOu dont get as much oil coming out of that thing as you do the pcv because the breather is routed into the airbox where there is less suction than at teh manifold where the pcv dumps into.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm rather disturbed by all the ricebois cranking up the boost, blowing shit up, then taking it to the dealer for warranty service.

I've been checking my oil regularly and change it every 2k miles.

·
Registered
582 Posts
A bigger catch can will only make it so you don't have to empty it as often. You just need to watch your oil levels and make sure it doesn't get to low.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FACT:

If you crank up your boost, you will have more crank case pressure. And I strongly beleive that in a 100% sound engine you do get some type of blow by when you increase the cyl pressures up(more boost). So with the added crank case pressure that comes out of the hoses, you will get some oil in that pressure.

The catch can does NOTHING to solve this, it only prevents oil from entering your engine so you have less carbon deposits. IM yet to check my catch can for oil but I will be taking it out tomorrow to see how much oil is in there.

Vibrant,

This is not an engine flaw. Its part of boosting 101. My conquest and supra did it also.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Why not tap the Oil pan and run a return line back to the oil pan from your catch can? Also 4 cylinder engines are known to cosume some oil in their 3K miles. Especially when your what manufacturers call abusive to da car hehe. Also for the people hummin and hawwin about it.. Realize that its a performance car for one and two people with the engine problems were doing stupid crap to begin with without know prolly about forced induction for one and two modifying things they have no clue about.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
mrmixitup said:
I'm rather disturbed by all the ricebois cranking up the boost, blowing shit up, then taking it to the dealer for warranty service.

I've been checking my oil regularly and change it every 2k miles.
Some kid over at i club got own3d that way. He had modded the shit out of his car without any engine management at all and ended up blowing his engine. So he takes it to the dealer and they agree to fix it under warranty, not knowing that it had been modded. Well the kid gets on i-club and starts bragging about he screwed the dealer out of his claim and some guy called up the dealer and gave him the thread. Needless to say the kid didn't get the engine and he was quite pissed off. Dumbshit..

-faast

·
Registered
582 Posts
0wn3d
Some kid over at i club got own3d that way. He had modded the shit out of his car without any engine management at all and ended up blowing his engine. So he takes it to the dealer and they agree to fix it under warranty, not knowing that it had been modded. Well the kid gets on i-club and starts bragging about he screwed the dealer out of his claim and some guy called up the dealer and gave him the thread. Needless to say the kid didn't get the engine and he was quite pissed off. Dumbshit..

0wn3d :lol:

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
Exhaust Depot said:
My 3k mile change was due and I was about 1 qt low. The local dealer ship has already done 4 engine swaps and all the engines that came in where at about 2qts of oil or so.

They also had the overboost codes etc. These where all kids who started to crank up the boost with out knowing whats going on. When you turn up the boost, you will have more pressure in the crank case which causes more oil to come out of the PCV . The catch can will help prevent the oil from entering your engine and causing extra carbon etc., but it will NOT prevent your oil from being consumed. It will still stay in the tank.

Oh yeah, its also normal for new engines to consume soem oil when its being broken in so some oil consumption is normal.
I was short a quart at my first oil change :cry:

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
I changed my oil today and when I was under the car I noticed some oil dripping from what looked like a hose (about 3" diam) attaching to the intercooler. It had a clamp you can loosen with a screw driver so I took off the clamp and when I pulled off the end of the hose, about 3 tablespoons of oil ran out. I noticed when I was putting the hose back onto the pipe, it had a bump on the pipe which I think would keep the hose from sealing all the way and let the oil drain out. I know that was hard to understand. I'm having trouble describing it. I'll take pictures tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Grunge said:
I changed my oil today and when I was under the car I noticed some oil dripping from what looked like a hose (about 3" diam) attaching to the intercooler. It had a clamp you can loosen with a screw driver so I took off the clamp and when I pulled off the end of the hose, about 3 tablespoons of oil ran out. I noticed when I was putting the hose back onto the pipe, it had a bump on the pipe which I think would keep the hose from sealing all the way and let the oil drain out. I know that was hard to understand. I'm having trouble describing it. I'll take pictures tomorrow.
Grunge, that's the blow by oil that we've been talking about. A catch can will "catch" it. :wink:

·
Registered
613 Posts
Note to self: Get catch can when I get SRT-4.

If nothing goes into the catch can but oil, can I, theoretically, run a line from the catch can down to the oil pan, to put this blowby oil back where it belongs?

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
with the 2.0 420a in the n/t eclipse, it was normal for the engine to burn/consume about 1 qt of oil every 3000 miles....

definately check the oil frequently tho, after the car has been sittin off for a cuple hours....

the 420a is prone to spinnin rod bearings when it is low on oil.... im not sure if its the same w/the 2.4, but w/the 2.0.. i know of several occurences of spun rod bearings due to low oil...

fyi

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
hmmm, so adding 1 qt of oil before your oil change is normal in all boosted cars? Is that basically what you are saying? I know my 92 eclipse burns 2 qt's between oil changes :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.