Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone out there having a weird wear on the bfg's? I have on mine a diagonal wear on the rears kind of like |\\\| also run your hand over the tread and see if it feels wavey or bumpy. I have 12k on my '05 and just had the dealer align the car....bfg defect? :bangit:

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hey i had the same problem. went thew mine in 15000 miles. Dealer 1 saide my alinment was fine. But they only checked the front. Dealer 2 checked the hole car and the rear of my car was all messed up. I dont know if this is the case for you but it was for me.

·
Administrator
39,215 Posts
your toe is/was out of adjustment more than likely. The tire was being dragged across the road when the car was going straight. If the toe was in spec and nothing in the suspension is bent, then it could be a belt slipped inside the tire, but for an OE tire it isn't that likely, but possible.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I KNOW I have the same problem. I use to sell tires when I was going through tires. Dealer won't pay for alignment or adjust the price for new tires. I'm anal about checking pressure and rotating. They're answer is...Well, it's not like a regular NEON, you have a performance car so that's not warranty.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Unless you are curb jumping, alignments are not needed every 6months. My Silverado has about 67k on the clock now and never had to have the alignment checked. The original tires look fine.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
ponchonutty said:
Unless you are curb jumping, alignments are not needed every 6months. My Silverado has about 67k on the clock now and never had to have the alignment checked. The original tires look fine.
I'd like to think I'm significantly more spirited in the twisties than your heavy ass truck. When I got my alignment done at 32k it was DRASTICALLY off. Nothing ever traumatic has happened to my car. Im at 40k now, and I'm overdue. It's not way off, but it has definitely wandered a bit...

hell, even comparing the alignment timeframe of a truck to a sport compact with good rubber and the average increased cornering speed is not accurate at all.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
stowaway said:
your toe is/was out of adjustment more than likely. The tire was being dragged across the road when the car was going straight. If the toe was in spec and nothing in the suspension is bent, then it could be a belt slipped inside the tire, but for an OE tire it isn't that likely, but possible.

I don't beleive the rear toe is adjustable on our cars....is it?

If the diagonal strakes are going the same direction....I would say the car is driving "duck tail"......car is kind of sideways while driving foreward.....also known as front-rear tracking.

Could be the result of an accident......it's the most common cause.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Yes, I understand dumbass that I run my srt4 harder in the "twisties" but the tire wear isn't indicative of hard cornering or burning off the tires. The front tires don't have the same wear pattern but the rears do. Both insides of the rear tires are bald. Oh, I haven't hit any huge holes and never hit a curb. I always slow way down for railroad tracks too.

No, we have independant rear ends so yes, you can align the rear too. "Dogtracking" is common and not just from accidents. You normally see it on rear drive, axle cars where something like one of the shackles came loose or for some reason the axle has slipped just on one side.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
when the dealer aligned it he said the rear toe was off, but only by .01degrees which apparently is insignificant when it comes to such wear...so i'm kinda of stuck. I also had a front steering wheel vibration early on when the engine wasn't underload at approx 70-90 mph, as the fronts wore down that has gone down with it....i'm pretty pissed, brand new car with 12k on it and no rubber :flame:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had my car aligned this weekend and they guy told me the rear camber was a little bit off and that he could fix that bending my strut. I said no, thank you. Car has only 7500 miles. So far no signs of wearing tires unevenly.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Well, I'm off to get'r checked in the morning. I'll try to post what happens. I think he can print off what the intial and final numbers are. If so, I'll scan and post them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
When your tires are doing that it is called cupping when your car is going down the road it bounces up and down slightly. You need to rotate your tires more often. It always happens to my mud tires on my truck.

·
Registered
676 Posts
my kdw's where bald at 15000 miles i have never been to the track nor did i lite them up or spin them

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
many directional tires with an agressive pattern like the kdw2's, will wear inconsistently. i've noted this on s2k's at work, their somewhat agressive alignment angles, while in spec, wear out tires quickly. my car does this as well, and the alignment is perfect (as i've aligned it myself in the 25k i've owned it). rotating seems to keep it minimal, but i quit paying attention when i started running dr's all the time :rofl: .
- Jon

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i've talked to chrysler and they're willing to work a 50/50 cost split ona set of new tires, minor proble: i cant afford a new set of kdw's (almost $900 installed) nor would i want another set honestly, any advice on somethin a little cheaper like around $120 a tire?

·
Administrator
39,215 Posts
900 installed? for the stock size? I see a little less than $540 for 4 shipped to some random PA address from tirerack. $125 a piece. Mounting shouldn't be more than $20 a tire.

See if you can get a set of Kumho Ecsta SPT's. They are going to be quieter and probably have a little better wet weather grip, maybe a slight loss in dry cornering grip, maybe. They are $90 a piece at tirerack, ~$37 for shipping. The Avon Tech M500 for $97 a piece is another good tire. Those are the only two tires at tirerack, in stock size, in the same performance category, that are under $120 that I would recommend.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I highly recommend Avon TechM500's. I have them on my SRT. better straight line hook than the BFG's, quieter ride too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts