Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to sell my Ford Ranger & this is the email I got in response on autotrader.com:

Hello Jason,

Thank you for your response, after discussions with my client who really commended your vehicle from the autotrader updates has instructed to carry on the transaction at the price of $9,500 US Dollars. he said he 'll be going on a vacation soon and will rest virtually all the transaction on my shoulder and assign a shipper like wise that i'll work with and stressed that he will be issuing out a cashier check of ($17,000) which was an earlier cancelled order,and will cover both the shipping and any other expences that might accrue.

So you are required to deduct the cost of your vehicle which is( $9,500) and then refund balance which is ($7,500) to my clients shipper after payment gets to you to enable him come for pick-up,transfer of title paper and other tax charges.

So i require of you to send me your NAMES,ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBER for check payment to be delivered to you via fedex courier services .All other information needed in completion of this transaction will be given to you in due time.
Awaiting your prompt reply.

My regards,

Patrick.

·
Registered
476 Posts
just send him an email saying that you will have to hold the check for a period of 1-2 months before the transaction can be completed. And that he must send 500 dollars cash in earnest money (non refundable) to hold the vehicle that long as you have other potential buyers.

·
Registered
370 Posts
yeah, the nigerian check scam... its been around for years... My wife's cousin fell for it.. they got screwed out of a truck and several thousand bucks..

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Btrturbcharged said:
ahem can we dumb it down a bit here? he's going to give you 17k shipped for a car he paid 9500 for?
Yeah and then he wants you to refund the difference of the 17k to him in cash or check. But low and behold that persons check isn't valid and he walks away with your car and 7k of your money.

·
Registered
9,151 Posts
i would email him...

say , yea im very interested!!

but i need to meet in person :eveilgrin ....

then, bring a bat, the rest of us norcalr's and let the PARTY begin

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
I work for Autotrader.com. First off, it is a scam.

Here's how it works...This a guy over seas who has approx 100 $17K fake checks. If you say "ok", he will mail you a fake check, and usually they will clear within ten days, you now have $17K in your bank account. You then send him the car, and $7500, the $7500 clears a week later. A month or two goes by and your bank will contact you saying YOU put in a fraud check, they automatically deduct the $17K, plus the $7500 already cleared so and you have no car.

There's actually a must worse scam out there on Autotrader.com, but the scammer claims to be selling the car.

·
Registered
741 Posts
chubz said:
Yeah and then he wants you to refund the difference of the 17k to him in cash or check. But low and behold that persons check isn't valid and he walks away with your car and 7k of your money.
That no longer true. With the Check 21 law passed, checks are cleared much faster as now it is not required to send the actual check. An image of the check is sent electronically to the bank. A check now can clear in 3 days.

Percy

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I replied that I thought he was a scamer & here is his reply:

Thanks for your mail and the contents well understood. I wouldn't blame you 'cos I guess your scared that you might be scamed. Personally, I would've loved to send you a check of the exact amount but the company's policy clearly state and allows a serial withdrawal on a cashier/certified check, which means one can't issue a fresh check without expending the
previous. Guess you'll understand and see reason with me, why the check can not be reversed.

Thanks for your understanding. If the transaction still holds, do get back to me with your Name, Address, and Phone# to enable the check get to you as soon as the arrangement is concluded.

Thanks,

Patrick Rice.
77 Grenville Street,
Toronto, Ontario
Canada M/A 2R9
Phone: +1206-666-1925.

·
Registered
441 Posts
srt4geezer said:
Patrick Rice.
77 Grenville Street,
Toronto, Ontario
Canada M/A 2R9
Phone: +1206-666-1925.
Anyone live near him? first off, teach him how to spell and use grammar, then tell him you will send a buddy of yours over to his house, and that your buddy will go to the bank with him to deposit the check. see what he says. this happens on ebay all the time to. this and the "send me money via western union" scam. BTW NEVER SEND MONEY WESTERN UNION!! You will most likely get screwed.

·
Registered
459 Posts
i got an email similar to taht for my srt. they said they would send a certain amount over what i was asking for some reason or another. i said i would prefer an electronic bank-to-bank transfer and never got a reply.....:D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.