Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got my 9mm wires and denso plugs from sparkplugs.com

The horsepower advantage from iridium spark plugs have long been known to the performance automotive enthusiast. They have been documented and dyno'd in magazines such as Muscle Mustangs and fast Fords as far back as 2001. Denso's iridium spark plug line has long dominated the iridium spark plugs aftermarket. Prior to now, they have been unavailable to the SRT4 market due to the unique head and OE wire construction on that model of Neon. Now Sparkplugs.com has designed a socket and wire set just for the SRT4 so they to can take advantage of the increased performance available from iridium spark plugs.

The main obstacles were the extended plug reach (length as measured from the tapered seat to the firing end) of the Champion RE14MCC-5 into the firing chamber. As well as the extended height, (the length of the metal shell and ceramic insulator as measured from the tapered seat to the top of the plug).

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNTUzNDMyNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE=.jpg

From the gasket down the Champion plugs have a 1" reach with a tapered seat, that in itself greatly reduced the plug choices available to tuners and performance enthusiasts. The Denso Iridium part# ITV16 is identical thus far, however, the overall height of the Champion plug is 7mm taller than a standard plug which prevents the Iridium plug from properly mating with the terminal connector on the stock spark plug wires. In addition, the 5/8" hex head which allows for plug removal and replacement is 6mm higher on the Champion plug than on traditional plugs. Therefore the hex head portion of the Denso ITV16 would disappear into the engine head prior to the plug being properly tightened. (not a good thing)

This has allowed Champion to maintain a near monopoly on SRT4 plugs. Champion has since released a platinum equivalent being the RE14PLP-5, which is also available at sparkplugs.com, however, it does not offer the performance improvements available from the ultra-thin iridium center electrode on the Denso ITV16.

Sparkplugs.com now has available a custom spark plug socket which has been machined 2.5mm thinner than a standard socket to allow installation and removal of a non OE spark plug into the SRT4. (you can make your own with a standard 5/8 spark plug socket and a ½ hour on the grinding wheel.)

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNTUzNDMzNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE=.jpg

Also they have fabricated 2 custom wires sets for use with the shorter Denso ITV16 iridium spark plugs. These are the part #s PTCW8R an 8mm red wire set and the PTCW8B , an 8mm blue wire set (see illustration) (Just released a 9mm version, photos not available yet)

These wires have an extended length connector where the wires reach through the valve cover so they properly mate with the Denso ITV16 spark plug for a tight connection. In addition the 2 and 3 cylinder wires have an optional 90 degree mounting at the top of the valve cover dust cap.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNTUzNDM2NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE=.jpg

In addition to the performance and mileage improvements available from the iridium plugs, there have been pinging problems reported by some Neon owners, If this is a problem with your SRT4, just changing to the iridium’s will help, but there are a variety of heat ranges available in the ITV series which allows you to go to a colder plug which can further reduce pinging. Racers and serious modifiers have also been hesitant to install some engine modifications on the Cruiser (HEI ignition, nitrous, ignition chips) due to the inability to obtain a colder spark plug, which is often necessary with any serious engine modification. The Denso Iridium now allows them a choice of heat ranges up to 4 heat ranges colder than stock plugs.
ITV16 stock
ITV20 1 colder
ITV22 2 colder
ITV24 3 colder
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNTUzNDQxNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE=.jpg

the only color they have for the 9mm is red the wires, plugs, socket, is less than $100 bux if you get the set i think its on their web site now www.sparkplugs.com they also have different colored sleeves i think that they will do group discounts too

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
hmm, then that explains why my car went from 78mph 1/8 traps to 81.26mph after i swapped to denso iridiums and their 8mm wireset :thumbsup: wished i knew about the 9mm :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts