Dodge SRT Forum banner

Oil change

Changing your oil

2K views 42 replies 34 participants last post by  Speedooooo 
#1 · (Edited)
How many of you change your oil yourself and how many take it to get done?
I am due for one soon and I have always changed it myself in all my vehicles . But this car sits a bit lower and I can't even see the filter by lookin underneathe without proppin it up a few inches. I looked in the owners manual and it says to use Mobile 1 synthetic. I've never used synthetic cause its so damn expensive. Those who change your own oil , how many are using the recommended oil? Thnx! :thumbsup:

#2 ·
change my own, K&N filter, Royal Purple 5W30

#3 ·
Change mine, ramps work great, once it's up, it's a piece of cake. Mobil 1 always. 18-20 for a 5 quart jug at Wal-Mart. Your turbo will live a longer, happier life, the turbo can cook normal oil down.

#9 ·
Change it myself. Mobil 1 5w30 [winter season] / Mobil 1 10w30 [summer season] every 2800-3000 Miles. Usually the Mobil filter, if they don't have it then the K&N.

I liked the design of the veritical filter on the 2.0 Neon, this horizontal shit sucks. :(
I also am getting pissed. Every time I touch a car now I break out in hives for the next week though. Starting to suck.

#15 ·
I used to change my own oil, but the SRT is too low to get over my Rhino ramps. I just take it to the dealer. It doesn't cost much more than doing it myself and it's nice to have them responsible if there is a problem. As for the oil I use, it's whatever brand of 5w-30 the dealer dumps in and a Mopar filter, of course. Every week when I notice the oil level dropping, I always add Mobil 1 for the hell of it.

#16 ·
to all of you using ramps, did you lower your car? i did and i bought ramps with a 17degree incline, i think, and it doesn't even come close to working. i cannot find any lower ramps than that. bought them from auto zone, they were nice and light but didn't cut it.

#18 ·
mopar filter and valvoline synthetic 10w-30(what dealer uses but charge you $55 and i do mine for $16)

#19 ·
I cut 2 6 ft long 2x12 boards. I put them under the front of my ramps, this makes the ramps less steep. Might help you guys with lower cars.. They need to be long enough that your car is up on the board before the bumper gets to the ramp.

Mine is still stock height, but I had taller ramps.

#24 ·
This is totally counter intuitive, but....

Saw this (excerpt) from a link in another thread on this forum: :wah?!:

"Engine wear actually decreases as oil ages. This has also been substantiated in testing conducted by Ford Motor Co. and ConocoPhillips, and reported in SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3119. What this means is that compulsive oil changers are actually causing more engine wear than the people who let their engine's oil get some age on it. Topping up the crankcase is a critical component of extended oil change intervals, and frequent filter changes are most likely the key to extreme-length intervals. The cumulative effect of even minor top-ups, let alone a filter change, substantially increases the longevity of the oil. Based on the results we've got here, we'd recommend 8,000 miles between oil changes on an engine that uses no oil at all, perhaps 10,000 miles on an engine that uses some oil, and 15,000 miles or beyond with a filter change every 5,000 miles. This, of course, isn't any kind of guarantee, and you must evaluate for yourself what your engine requires. One thing we're pretty sure about though: 3,000-mile intervals is a huge waste of resources." :readclose

Damn, I dunno what to think about this. I have not read the referenced SAE technical paper. So, caveat emptor.

Don't flame the messenger! :hi:

#26 ·
I used to change my own oil, but the SRT is too low to get over my Rhino ramps
That's interesting. Mine went up my Rhino Ramps without any problem. I put it up on ramps to add the air dam the dealer didn't put on. I'll be doing my own oil changes because if I screw something up, I have only myself to kick in the *ss for doing so. It's just not worth my time to see some of the screwups that the dealer does. Have a 5 quart jug of 10w30 Mobil one synthetic waiting for the mileage to roll up and will be ordering a mopar oil filter in time for the change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.