·
Banned
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Centerline Wheels - Good or Bad

RPM...

they sure are pretty...

how do they hold up? anyone have them?

i'm soooo confused, there's way too many nice wheels out there.

these are 19x7.5 - 42mm.
on the site it says "extremelly lightweight" forged wheel.

Specifics? Price?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I have the Centerline "Advantage Series"rims and I don't have nay of the flaws noted in the rims above. As a matter of fact, those rims above are the 1st Centerlines thatI have ever seen with this flaw....That guy bought those rims from somebody else and already had issues when he bought them....So I wouldn't use those rims above to base your decision. Centerline took care of him and replaced his rims for free....What other dealer will do that.

My rims 18x7x42mm offset fit and cleared perfectly...They are very light and look very good....

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
Super Steve said:
I have the Centerline "Advantage Series"rims and I don't have nay of the flaws noted in the rims above. As a matter of fact, those rims above are the 1st Centerlines thatI have ever seen with this flaw....That guy bought those rims from somebody else and already had issues when he bought them....So I wouldn't use those rims above to base your decision. Centerline took care of him and replaced his rims for free....What other dealer will do that.

My rims 18x7x42mm offset fit and cleared perfectly...They are very light and look very good....
are you implying that they are knock-off Centerlines? and i agree it maybe a isolated incident, however it happened to 3 out of 4 of his rims. ive been around cars for awhile and have prob owned in excess of 20+ sets of aftermarket wheels for various cars. ive never seen a forged wheel crack like that. perhaps its a design flaw, maybe a " bad batch" , whatever the case may be, it happened.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Freak my point exactly, Centerline rims are forged and very strong and what ever happened to his rims was either a fluke flaw are some nasty abuse fro mthe previous owner. I've been around and used Centerline rims in particular for several years and I know good they are. But being that everything is man-made, a design or production flaw can still happen....Nothing is perfect no matter how repitable the item or items may be.....

Point of this thread, is just because this problem happened to one person doesn't mean its going to happen to the next...With that said, the Centerline rims have a huge reputation for producing awesome products and if there is a problem they will fix it very quickly as noted above...

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
High impact with something. From the storey there was a dent in one of the rims. My educational guess is the guy before hit a curb at high rate of speed with all 4 wheels. The impact jar alone on low profile tires which obviousily this guy had would surely cause the problem. The rims themselves take the impacting stress. Not enough tire to absorb the shock completely.....

·
Registered
13,981 Posts
Whoh ok.

First off, the ONLY way that cracks are going to occur in the same place on 3/4 wheels is some sort of metal fatigue. Granted, I can't speak for the original owner of the wheels. Cosmetically, they were in sad shape when I got them, and the ONLY physical problem was the dent in the lip in ONE of the wheels.
Now, if it wasn't some sort of factory fluke, wouldn't you think that the wheel with the dent in the lip would have more severe cracking than the wheel pictured? The wheel with the big crack was pristine.
...and I can tell you, I DON'T abuse my wheels. They get hand-torqued to 90fl-lbs in a star pattern, I never hard launch my car, especially to the point of wheel hop. My last dyno was only 230ft-lbs in 3rd gear, and granted, with gear multiplication, that's over 1,000ft-lbs in 1st gear, but there is no way torue broke them. The proof? I got 30,000 miles out of my stock Michelins..25,000 of those were with the Centerlines.
Furthermore, WHY did cracks form on only 3 out of 4 wheels? That 4th wheel was perfectly fine..no cracks or anything. OBVIOUSLY a factory flaw.
A google search will reveal that there are damn near NO cases or cracked or broken Centerlines. There was a guy running a Camaro or something that broke one, but it was due to abuse and it wasn't even a wheel in the Dominator series. Fact is, this is a VERY isolated event, the wheels were at least 2 years old, and I'm sure Centerline has taken even stricter measures to prevent 'flukes' like that one from making it out the front door.
If this were a 'common thing' among Centerline wheels, I doubt they would have been so cordial in replacing them. For comparison, most of the 'bling bling' wheels hanging in the shop there for trucks have stickers on the outside of the rim from the manufacturer 'You mount it, you bought it'.
Plus, if you buy a brand new set of Centerline wheels, you get a 3 YEAR manufacturer warranty. On some of their wheels, they even offer FREE curb repair!
Flat out, I have to say that for the money, Centerlines are the best lightweight forged rim you can buy. I would definately buy another set of Centerlines, even after the cracking incident.
In fact, the Storms are on my 'want' list...they're hot.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
A guy in my club has those Centerlines. They are pretty good lookin' on an SRT, for sure. He's only got 17" tho ...

·
Registered
642 Posts
i didn't read the whole thread so dont' know if this was said...but the guy who got those bought them used, and when they cracked brought it straight to centerline and got a whole brand new set free

·
Registered
13,981 Posts
That was me.
It was different than getting a set for free. It was a manufacturer warranty. I worked with the local shop to work with Centerline and get them replaced. It was multiple people working together to help me out. It was a combination of a good relationship with the shop, and the shop's good relationship with Centerline.
Funny thing is, I may have to end up buying two out of 4 wheels-One wasn't cracked, and the other had that big fuggin dent. The shop put two wheels on my credit account, and will credit me back if Centerline replaces all 4. They may only replace 2, that's why they charged me for 2. We're all crossing our fingers, because I may be out $500 if they don't take the other 2.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I would like to get a set of the 18" RPMs in anthracite...but they cost too damn much. I'll keep eyeballing eBay i guess..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.