Dodge SRT Forum banner

Carbon Kevlar parts?

1291 Views 12 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  lifeisdeath
Why dont they make any hoods and body panels out of carbon kevlar. From what i understand it is stronger and lighter than carbon fiber. Plus if you dont paint it, it looks awsome. A few friends of mine are making a carbon kevlar intake for our racecar.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
i dont know abotu price, my friends said that it was actually cheaper than the carbon fiber we were going to use
Different composite fabrics are made for different loading. Carbon fiber/graphite actually has a higher tensile strength than kevlar for the approximately the same given weight. However on the other hand Kevlar has is more impact resistant and yes it is cheaper.
Kevlar is cheaper, but it is such a royal PITA to cut that many Kevlar parts are just as expensive as their carbon counterparts.
but then it will be bulletproof, and you can drive it in south central or detroit with no worries! :lol:
lifeisdeath said:
but then it will be bulletproof, and you can drive it in south central or detroit with no worries! :lol:
LOL. Maybe Kevlar doors are in order. :wink:
lifeisdeath said:
LMAO!! South Central, here I come!

Boo yaa!
don't be scured 8)
lifeisdeath said:
FYI you need many layers of kevlar to stop a bullet and not just any weave is used.

The price on carbon fiber ( graphite cloth ) and kevlar vary. Mostly depends on the weave and wieght. You can find either from about $12/ yard to over $100 / yard depends on what your looking for.
daytonagts said:
FYI you need many layers of kevlar to stop a bullet and not just any weave is used.
'
yes sir, i realize that. it was a joke. SARCASM. come on guys...
I know it was SARCASM :D I was just stating a fact since I've worked with both the products a bit :wink:
ok, np then.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.