Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why dont they make any hoods and body panels out of carbon kevlar. From what i understand it is stronger and lighter than carbon fiber. Plus if you dont paint it, it looks awsome. A few friends of mine are making a carbon kevlar intake for our racecar.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont know abotu price, my friends said that it was actually cheaper than the carbon fiber we were going to use

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Different composite fabrics are made for different loading. Carbon fiber/graphite actually has a higher tensile strength than kevlar for the approximately the same given weight. However on the other hand Kevlar has is more impact resistant and yes it is cheaper.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Kevlar is cheaper, but it is such a royal PITA to cut that many Kevlar parts are just as expensive as their carbon counterparts.

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
but then it will be bulletproof, and you can drive it in south central or detroit with no worries! :lol:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
don't be scured 8)

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
lifeisdeath said:
but then it will be bulletproof, and you can drive it in south central or detroit with no worries! :lol:
FYI you need many layers of kevlar to stop a bullet and not just any weave is used.

The price on carbon fiber ( graphite cloth ) and kevlar vary. Mostly depends on the weave and wieght. You can find either from about $12/ yard to over $100 / yard depends on what your looking for.

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
daytonagts said:
FYI you need many layers of kevlar to stop a bullet and not just any weave is used.
'
yes sir, i realize that. it was a joke. SARCASM. come on guys...

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
ok, np then.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts