Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I start to accelerate, the car will start to shake around 2K RPM through 3K RPM. It can be visibly seen that the door panels shake. I've already changed out one of the wheel bearings, and both outer tie rods. It doesn't shake when cruising though, only on acceleration from that range. My last suspicion is motor mounts. It feels like it's only shaking when the car drones a bit from that acceleration range. The shake can also be felt through the steering wheel a bit too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
When I start to accelerate, the car will start to shake around 2K RPM through 3K RPM. It can be visibly seen that the door panels shake. I've already changed out one of the wheel bearings, and both outer tie rods. It doesn't shake when cruising though, only on acceleration from that range. My last suspicion is motor mounts. It feels like it's only shaking when the car drones a bit from that acceleration range.
I forgot to mention it doesn't shake on decel either from that range. Whenever I give it enough gas it vibrates like that too and feels like its shaking a bit. But when I'm constant on the throttle to cruise, it doesn't shake.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
When I start to accelerate, the car will start to shake around 2K RPM through 3K RPM. It can be visibly seen that the door panels shake. I've already changed out one of the wheel bearings, and both outer tie rods. It doesn't shake when cruising though, only on acceleration from that range. My last suspicion is motor mounts. It feels like it's only shaking when the car drones a bit from that acceleration range. The shake can also be felt through the steering wheel a bit too.
is it gear independent?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,762 Posts
It is generally pretty easy to see if your motor mounts are bad. The rubber will be visibly torn, the top one is really easy to check, bottom one you might have to remove the passenger wheel and engine belt splash guard to get a good look. Also is a good idea to take a peek at the transmission mount too.

This is just the first place to look at as you get started, keeping it simple then move on to more complicated potential causes.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
No, it happens in any gear as long as I give it enough throttle or when starting from a stop at about 20-30mph when accelerating, but doesn't when decelerating to a stop.
Like RT said, check the motor mounts. My initial thought was Lower control arm bushings, joints or other drivetrain components... but those would be speed dependent, not RPM dependent

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like RT said, check the motor mounts. My initial thought was Lower control arm bushings, joints or other drivetrain components... but those would be speed dependent, not RPM dependent

Could it also be an axle? The previous owner also said he replaced an axle (or both) from him breaking one. Maybe he didn’t torque it correctly or the other one is going bad? Then again, the car only does shake on acceleration and not when just cruising or decel.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My initial thought was Lower control arm bushings,
I've had to replace LCA bushings twice since owning my srt4 before switching to poly bushings. It would just make this terrible groaning sound going over bumps, but otherwise no violent shaking.

Middle motor mount might be worn too. There's an inspection hole in the passenger side wheel well. If the bolt head is anywhere but right in the middle of the hole, it's starting to go.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
I've had to replace LCA bushings twice since owning my srt4 before switching to poly bushings. It would just make this terrible groaning sound going over bumps, but otherwise no violent shaking.

Middle motor mount might be worn too. There's an inspection hole in the passenger side wheel well. If the bolt head is anywhere but right in the middle of the hole, it's starting to go.
Thanks, good information/tip.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
If you have 2 known-good spare axles, swap them one at a time and report back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.