Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be in 5th gear just coasting on the highway and randomly the SRT will loose all power....like if I was hit with one of those electrical shut off weapons from Fast in the Furious LOL!

But seriously....no throttle, no nothing.....for a brief 5 seconds or so....then it comes back up.

New battery installed, battery terminals cleaned, and I had a local parts store check the alternator too with the car running.

They claim everything passed.

I checked a few ground wires: Pass side head flat braided wire looks to thin???? Driver side has a small thin wire that plugs in to the engine...with some sort of sensor or relay....it had some rust so I cleaned it off.

What else should I look for?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:
The APEXI SAFC NEO is very sensitive and I recently installed it near the stock boost gauge. If I move it with the car on, the car will loose electric power....weird.

Other issue was the battery terminals were worn out and not squeezing the battery posts tight enough. Replaced both and car runs great.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Does it happen more often after you hit a bump in the road?
You know what was strange about the ram is it wouldn't do it when bumped, we wiggled and bounced what seemed like every wire under the hood and couldn't replicate the problem. It was more likely to do it when hot then cold and always right in the middle of an intersection or merging onto the freeway...in California. I found the problem only after resting my hand on the battery terminal to look behind the engine one day and it died. So i swapped out the cables and its not done it in the past 3 years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,153 Posts
Update:
The APEXI SAFC NEO is very sensitive and I recently installed it near the stock boost gauge. If I move it with the car on, the car will loose electric power....weird.

Other issue was the battery terminals were worn out and not squeezing the battery posts tight enough. Replaced both and car runs great.
I didnt realize there were still cars out there running SAFCs... EEK!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What’s the issue with this thing? I do plan to remove it since it seems to kill the car since it’s really sensitive if the wire is moved.
But do other people have this issue?

·
Premium Member
4,153 Posts
SAFC's were a bandaid fix for these cars many years ago before we had good ways to tune them. What an SAFC does is "clamp" the signal the ecu sees from the MAP sensor, essentially making the ecu think the car isnt running as much boost as it is (stock map sensors can only read up to ~18psi). This allowed some "tuning" of the air/fuel mixture when running higher boost. The issue is, the more you "clamp" the map signal, the more the ecu advances ignition timing. High boost + advanced ignition timing + limited control of ecu = Boom to the motor.... trust me, i have first hand experience... This is even more so of an issue when larger turbos are thrown into the mix.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Car is tuned with the Diablo unit on the 93 tune. Are you saying with the SAFC installed, the car if advancing timing?

·
Premium Member
4,153 Posts
with a diablo tune, there is absolutely no need in having the safc on the car. in fact, yes it could be doing more hard. Get that old technology shit out of there and sell it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts