Dodge SRT Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Some people can't get over the fact that this car is a little more than just a neon. I had my doubts when I was looking to buy. I really wanted to 99-04 Gt but realized that minus a power adder I'd be seeing srt-4 taillights a little more than I would like, so neon for me :hi: When I can afford a 03-04 cobra I might be tempted to cross over though :eveilgrin

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
Dr. Who said:
<sigh> Anyway... Since that car has an M-plate on it, it's most likely an engineering car they loaned out before production started.. Once production starts, they put regular tags on the cars for PR stuff (not M-plates)...

I don't know how they managed to NOT get good skidpad numbers on the ACR. It pulls 0.90 G's with proper tire pressure - even with the dampers on '2' . It's just plain hard to overcome that front end weight bias (~63%).

-Doc
yeah 63/37 aint doin much to help matters no matter how you look at it

·
Registered
167 Posts
I can understand the love of the cars we own but I think its sad that even though the magazine has taken an objective look at the cars that are in this category, you seem to think that this is a personal attack on the SRT owners. For what the SRT is, it is a great car. It does (like many other cars) have its strong and weak points. You trash the writer for the points that he makes and I think they are for the most part valid. I have read the posts on this thread and would hate to think that most SRT owners are so narrow minded that they think that their car is the best at everything. As I stated earlier, I can understand loving our cars but to not look at the complete package is not the best way to judge a car. Granted the SRT-4 has the most power and the fastest ¼ mile and so forth, does not make it the best all round car. One must consider creature comforts as well as overall drivability. The Viper is a fast car but I would never take one on a long trip to the beach. Same for the Z06. There are many cars that are very comfortable yet lack handling as well as power. The trick is to get the best bang for the buck and I will admit that the SRT is a good value, I agree with most of what the article says. It does have the power and the handling one would expect of a compact sports car yet lacks some comforts that we may take for granted in other cars. You are going to make some sacrifices. Sure as SRT owners you may be a little bias but you should take other things in consideration.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Horsepowerfreak3 said:
I can understand the love of the cars we own but I think its sad that even though the magazine has taken an objective look at the cars that are in this category, you seem to think that this is a personal attack on the SRT owners. For what the SRT is, it is a great car. It does (like many other cars) have its strong and weak points. You trash the writer for the points that he makes and I think they are for the most part valid. I have read the posts on this thread and would hate to think that most SRT owners are so narrow minded that they think that their car is the best at everything. As I stated earlier, I can understand loving our cars but to not look at the complete package is not the best way to judge a car. Granted the SRT-4 has the most power and the fastest ¼ mile and so forth, does not make it the best all round car. One must consider creature comforts as well as overall drivability. The Viper is a fast car but I would never take one on a long trip to the beach. Same for the Z06. There are many cars that are very comfortable yet lack handling as well as power. The trick is to get the best bang for the buck and I will admit that the SRT is a good value, I agree with most of what the article says. It does have the power and the handling one would expect of a compact sports car yet lacks some comforts that we may take for granted in other cars. You are going to make some sacrifices. Sure as SRT owners you may be a little bias but you should take other things in consideration.
I understand what you are saying, overall package. The fact is though the RSX doesn't have that (overall package), all it has is a nice interior. Personally if overall package is taking into effect maybe the WRX should have won at the very least if not the srt-4. The RSX just doens't have the performance aspect to compete with the other cars in this segment, so it doesn't have the overall package.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
autoxracer83 said:
It's not untill you get into the less expensive neighborhoods you see the SRT-4s primarily driven by Mexican's not be racist but in this area they might not know aftermarket but they obviously know BANG FOR THE BUCK.
excuse me ......we do know aftermarket...and we know when there is a good deal on horsepower:rofl:

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Horsepowerfreak3, please post the title of the article for me. Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
yeah, that was definetly a bullshit article. I'm glad I never wasted money on their magazines.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
I just wanted you to say Cheap Speed. That is what this is about. In addition. The tagline under it says this "We compare five $25,000 tarmac torpedoes and discover five new ways to induce arrhythmia."

Come on!!!! It doesn't say anything about how your motherin law will like it or how well it can carry a coffee. Crying out loud. I think this reviewer turned in a "How would a weenie like these cars" review & the editor changed the title to get people to read it.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Horsepowerfreak3 - I can understand the love of the cars we own but I think its sad that even though the magazine has taken an objective look at the cars that are in this category, you seem to think that this is a personal attack on the SRT owners. For what the SRT is, it is a great car. It does (like many other cars) have its strong and weak points. You trash the writer for the points that he makes and I think they are for the most part valid. I have read the posts on this thread and would hate to think that most SRT owners are so narrow minded that they think that their car is the best at everything. As I stated earlier, I can understand loving our cars but to not look at the complete package is not the best way to judge a car. Granted the SRT-4 has the most power and the fastest ¼ mile and so forth, does not make it the best all round car. One must consider creature comforts as well as overall drivability. The Viper is a fast car but I would never take one on a long trip to the beach. Same for the Z06. There are many cars that are very comfortable yet lack handling as well as power. The trick is to get the best bang for the buck and I will admit that the SRT is a good value, I agree with most of what the article says. It does have the power and the handling one would expect of a compact sports car yet lacks some comforts that we may take for granted in other cars. You are going to make some sacrifices. Sure as SRT owners you may be a little bias but you should take other things in consideration.
I’m not sure if you understand why people are mad. It has nothing to do with the fact that the srt lost, it is the fact that the article is called "cheap speed" which tells me that they are looking for the best thrill for the buck not the best overall car :scratchhe . The Acura was the worst in about every speed category where the srt was number one. I wouldn't have been as mad if the cobalt or redline won because they are at least fast & affordable hence the title "cheap speed". That article is why I will never buy an other car & driver magazine because they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. :ftard:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Horsepowerfreak3 said:
Cheap - definition: "relatively low in price or charging low prices"
Speed - definition: "travel rapidly: move very fast"
Nowhere do I see any term remotely similar to the following....
Luxury - definition: "lavishness: the quality possessed by something that is excessively expensive"

We wouldn't care if the SRT lost in a "Battle of Amenities", but you see how fast the RSX-S owner's would flip out if the SRT-4 came in ANYTHING but last place, let alone be compared to the RSX. The editors wanted to cheap speed, and everything they said in the article relating directly to cheap speed, SRT-4 had, yet when it came time to rank, they rank it 3rd behind the RSX. That's like me doing a review of myself, Jerry Seinfeld and Shaq in a basketball game, the whole time the judges are talking about how great Shaq is, then when it comes time to hand out awards, I get first and Shaq gets last.....wtf??

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
iball said:
Everyone, grab your pitchforks and torches! Let's go burn down the C&D offices!
Burn the witches! Burn them!
She turned me into a newt.
A newt?
I got better...
:lol: I love Monty Python

·
Registered
39 Posts
SRT-4 is definetly the fastest. Who cares if C&D says the RSX is the best car for "cheap speed". Why waste your time bitching about it. Go chump some pussy in an RSX and get all the cheap speed you want.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
What gets me is that, as of late, these magazines are just full of crap. They're not serving us any information we can't get off thet internet, they're at least a month late with spy shots and "future forecasts", and now we get their slanted, editorial-style of writing instead of a nice, 3rd party "objective" review of the product.

I can't flip through a car magazine without being inundated with ads. At least Sport Compact Car (SCC) has a better understanding of the product and a better overall attitude, but half their mag is advertising!

I use the recent Motor Trend debable as a good example - they firmly shoved their foots in their mouths with the Cobalt / SRT comparison. They purposely made the SRT-4 look slow, so that the Cobalt wouldn't look too slow. They still haven't responded to the many letters SRT faithful sent them, and they're probably just going to ignore the whole thing.

Motor Trend just pisses me off. Bunch of fluffy-hat frenchmen that can't drive. That, and their new "artsy-fartsy" magazine layout looks more like they're trying to be cool than write about cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did the guy get a response yet? :zzzz:
Anyway theysaid it was a "cheap speed" comparo
The srt had scored the most in the performance well they did so that's an instant win. We should :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: them

·
SRT-4 Guru (Tech Team)
1,043 Posts
toasteroven said:
Incredibly Hilarious content clipped.
ROTFFLMAO :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
Original Owner '05 SRT-4 S2 Toys
144 Posts
I don't remember seeing this magazine at the time but their "review" doesn't surprise me. It didn't help that Daimler refused to badge the SRT-4 as a "Neon" either (although the Mulroney sticker for my '05 calls it a 'Neon SRT-4').

·
Super Moderator
16,345 Posts
I don't remember seeing this magazine at the time but their "review" doesn't surprise me. It didn't help that Daimler refused to badge the SRT-4 as a "Neon" either (although the Mulroney sticker for my '05 calls it a 'Neon SRT-4').
Not really sure why the car not being badged as a Neon would have mattered. But just for sheets and giggles...

My sheet:

Owners manual:

Service schedule booklet:

Commemorative Edition Booklet:

Is it a Neon? Yah, sure, but Dodge didn't call it that in 04/05 ;)

21 - 40 of 45 Posts