Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to: [email protected]

Below is your text with my revisions. Regards, toasteroven.

Cheap Speed, Round 23
Dodge SRT4 ACR
Highs: Big dirty speed, astounding brakes, an autocrosser ready for tire immolation.
Sounds like the definition of cheap speed to me.

Lows: Noisy at all speeds, vibration at all speeds, overly aggressive front seats.
So? Lose weight.

The Verdict: A one-trick pony you'll want to save for SCCA weekends.
Again, sounds like the definition of your article.

Thrid Place
Spell check is a great thing.

The Dodge SRT4 ACR—we were asked not to use the Neon designator here, lest readers conjure a wimpy, dental hygienist's car—represents a kind of descent into acronymic nirvana. SRT stands for Socially Regressive Thinking [It stands for Street and Racing Technology—Ed.], and ACR stands for Alabama Canine Registry [It stands for American Club Racing—Ed.]. The $1195 ACR package includes an even firmer suspension—yeah, that's what it needs—as well as 225/45-16 BFG g-Force T/As instead of the standard 205/50R-17s.
So, aside at the real lame attempts at humor over all the acronyms the writer was too lazy to look-up, at least you tested the right version of the SRT-4; the ACR. And god forbid it have a decent suspension set-up. I mean, I know you guys like to drive around in your STS's all day, but the wallow of an STS as it screams around the track at Willow Springs doesn't exactly say "Cheap Speed" to me.

Thus equipped, this smiley-faced Dodge is not so much a bull in a china shop as a tyrannosaur in a maternity ward. Not only does its turbo 2.4-liter four produce 230 horses, but it also churns out 107 more pound-feet of torque than the Acura. No surprise, then, that it bagged the quickest 0-to-60 time (5.6 seconds), the quickest and fastest quarter-mile blast (14.3 seconds at 99 mph), the greatest top speed (150), and the most enviable autocross time. The Dodge was the only car in our quintet to score a perfect 20 points in our coveted powertrain performance ranking.
And it came in 3rd place in a SPEED comparison because it's interior wasn't up-to-par? You guys need to get your priorities straight.

What's more, the SRT4 offers intergalactically powerful brakes, shedding 70 mph of velocity in 161 feet—supercar territory. If you're beginning to think of the SRT4 as more race car than street car, we wouldn't talk you out of it.
Well, at least you didn't pick any competitors with drum-brakes.

Race cars make a lot of noise. The SRT4 was far and away the noisiest car in this group—at idle, at wide-open throttle, and at a 70-mph cruise. Racing engines don't have to be smooth. The SRT4's produces a riot of vibration and is so lumpy at idle that our testers couldn't write clearly in the logbook.
Write bigger. Or get your asses out of the tight seats. Or, hey... TURN THE CAR OFF. Problem solved.

Race-car seats aren't designed to be comfy. The SRT4's hold your legs almost at belt level, as if you're in a Formula Ford, and the bolsters were apparently designed to clutch onto Steve Kinser. The struts and anti-roll bars groan and gronk. The throttle-return spring is so heavy it could close a screen door. The rear windows are operated via manual cranks. And the spare tire is directional, as if the Dodge guys assume it's the first thing buyers will discard on the garage floor.
I'm surprised you're not complaining about the lack of memory seats, a flower vase, and auto-tilting rear-view mirrors. Of course, we all know how important the interior fit-and-finish is to someone who is concerned about CHEAP SPEED, so please - point out all the flaws that Dodge wallows in, and Acura excels in.

While autocrossing, the Dodge felt right at home but was also the easiest to overdrive, with boost manifesting as early as 2000 rpm. Curb your right-foot enthusiasm, or the SRT4 will smoke its front BFGs out of every corner, even in third gear, plowing wide of your intended line.
So, you're saying you need to know how to drive it. Gotcha. Then again, you got one of the lousiest 1/4 mile times out of an SRT-4 ([email protected]), so perhaps you need to learn how to drive first.

This feisty little brute might have placed higher (an SRT4, in fact, won our May 2003 "Serial Thriller" comparo) were it not such a one-trick pony. The Dodge was a perfect marvel on our Ohio handling loop and a perfect nightmare on the drive down—hobbled by the omnipresent lawn-mower exhaust drone, the let's-get-it-on ride, the rock-hard brake pedal, the torque steer off the line, the dense steering at low speeds, and the onlookers who assume you're a sociopath looking for a school bus to ram.
So, in other words, it lost points because it has a crappy interior, and goes fast as hell. Right. In a "Cheap Speed" comparo. And of course, far be it to shine the light on a car that won't be around in a few months when there are other cars that have manufacturers waiting to purchase advertising space for their continuing cars.

Pulse-pounding velocity is dandy, until you want to sip an espresso latte while commuting to work at 6:30 in the sleet. Then all the boy-racer stuff becomes cloying. Still, if there's pavement in front of your house that needs to be torn up, buy your SRT4 now. This mobile monster disappears in 2006.
Funny, I have super-size drinks in my SRT-4 all the time, and I never spill them. You should get the hole in your lips checked out.

And if you're sipping espresso, you're not interested in "CHEAP SPEED".

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like the Type-S as well, but I thought the exact same thing... how could the ACR not win in a "cheap speed" contest? If I had to use two words to describe the ACR... that'd preeetty much hit the nail on the head. I can understand if the author has different priorities in what he wants in a car, but cmon...
PS: They'll never publish that! LOL!

·
SRT-4 Guru (Tech Team)
1,043 Posts
<sigh> good to see other people so emotionally attached to the SRT-4....

·
Registered
345 Posts
nice writing...im glad teh slowest won the "cheap speed" comparo..i think they meant to name it "best interior" comparo

·
Registered
8,059 Posts
Everyone, grab your pitchforks and torches! Let's go burn down the C&D offices!
Burn the witches! Burn them!

·
Registered
455 Posts
It's one thing they can't drive the car, but then it's comes down to nice interiors. Fvck car & driver, they title a feature "Cheap Speed" and yet nowhere in there do I see "Cheap Speed & Luxurious Amenities". Bastards. :flame:

·
Registered
345 Posts
iball said:
Everyone, grab your pitchforks and torches! Let's go burn down the C&D offices!
Burn the witches! Burn them!

lmfao....dont forget the tar and feathers

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
i got a whole bunch of GM ads......

doc did they borrow the car from the fleet and if soo please tell me they were shown how to turn the dial in + direction on each strut.....

cause last i checked a stock srt4 posted .85-.86 on most skid pad testing...i cant imagine a full firm acr posting the same.....

·
SRT-4 Guru (Tech Team)
1,043 Posts
NeonDan said:
doc did they borrow the car from the fleet and if soo please tell me they were shown how to turn the dial in + direction on each strut.....

cause last i checked a stock srt4 posted .85-.86 on most skid pad testing...i cant imagine a full firm acr posting the same.....

<sigh> Anyway... Since that car has an M-plate on it, it's most likely an engineering car they loaned out before production started.. Once production starts, they put regular tags on the cars for PR stuff (not M-plates)...

I don't know how they managed to NOT get good skidpad numbers on the ACR. It pulls 0.90 G's with proper tire pressure - even with the dampers on '2' . It's just plain hard to overcome that front end weight bias (~63%).

-Doc

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
You should have seen what I wrote on my subscription renewal form...LOL They definitely won't print that in the mag...It would have to be censored completely...I thought about threatening various editors lives, but figured it wasn't worth going to court over...Although I thought long and hard about just going ahead with it....The magazine should not be called Car & Driver. Because they do not give a fucking shit about driving the car...It should be called Car and Passenger....Those fuckers....I think we should organize an SRT meet at their headquarters and have drag races and burnout contest right in front of their doors.....

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
Dr. Who said:
<sigh> Anyway... Since that car has an M-plate on it, it's most likely an engineering car they loaned out before production started.. Once production starts, they put regular tags on the cars for PR stuff (not M-plates)...

I don't know how they managed to NOT get good skidpad numbers on the ACR. It pulls 0.90 G's with proper tire pressure - even with the dampers on '2' . It's just plain hard to overcome that front end weight bias (~63%).

-Doc
well maybe if someone wouldn't have design such a fat arse motor and stuck it way up front... oh sorry... :jester: its no doubt we learn along time ago car and driver is about who pays the most and how comfy they can be going a 2 b.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
I received my copy in the mail and when I saw the cover I flipped right to it. Expecting our beloved SRT-4 to be first I flipped to the last page only to see an Acura. After reading the article, I was incredibly pissed to see the reason why the Acura has it because "Plus, when your neighbor asks what car you bought, it sounds way cooler to say Acura than Dodge..." Here is the link to the article on their website. http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=9845&page_number=1 Send in your letters these people are either buying some great shit off the streets of Manhattan or they have their heads so far up Acura's ass they are finding new ways to cure stomach ulcers. I think this article in itself is giving me an ulcer.

·
Registered
221 Posts
you guys are right, they wont publish that...BUT they will post more than one letters of people just like you that are pissed because they are morons, so it will be more than fun to read the next issue. maybe they print bullshit stories so people will buy the next issue to see the flack they get.

·
Registered
84 Posts
no way on earth should the acura rsx have been first. I see it hard to believe it could have gotten higher than last place. Although the rest of the cars were actual contenders the RSX cant even be considered a sport compact anymore. Forced Induction is a must for any sport compact enthusiast. I have been using swapped and turbo charged honda for years and gave them up as being daily drivable. I know rock a orange srt4 for my daily and a built H22a integra as my this was too much trouble to build and not worth a penny for resale car.

If it dosnt come stock with boost or a big motor its not a sports car at all. The acura RSX has niether. But since it boasts honda's luxary badge of course then of course MY MOM AND GRANDMA would approve of that over an SRT-4.

But my race car driving step dad and my race car building/owner grandfather were both impressed by this vehicle.

CAR AND DRIVER SOLD OUT HANDS DOWN... It should have been SRT4 in 1st or at most 2nd and only because the AWD of the Subaru and thats the only argument that could put the Subaru in front of the SRT-4

CAR AND DRIVER JUST LOST MY SUBSCRITION UNTIL I CAN AFFORD STARBUCKS AND A FERRARI

STUPID WANKERS :flame:

·
Registered
84 Posts
OH ALSO.... LETS JUST HAVE A QUICK RESPECT TEST... I havnt seen a redline on the road yet but here are my thoughts when I see the fallowing cars.

SRT-4 (be carefull that could easily kick my ass)
WRX (as long as momy didnt buy it and its modded it could be trouble)
Cobalt (did mom or dad pay for that car???)
ACURA RSX (yeh momy definatly bought that) and (it could look like it had $15k dropped into it and i would still run it and expect to win with my NEARLY STOCK SRT-4) oh and DID MOMY BUY THE BODY KIT TOO?

AND ON THE TOPIC OF SELLING OUT RICH DADDY READS THIS MAGAZINE NOT US SO RICH MOMMY AND DADDY ARE GONNA BUY AN RSX or the MUCH SAFER WRX

I work in chicago land we got some rich neighborhoods. Everything out here is RSX, WRX, Integra Type R, and if you really got it bad grandma handed you down the Integra GSR. It not untill you get into the less expensive neighborhoods you see the SRT-4s primarily driven by Mexican's not be racist but in this area they might not know aftermarket but they obviously know BANG FOR THE BUCK.

·
Registered
212 Posts
They definitely should have thought about the title a tad longer before coming up with "Cheap Speed". If it was something like "Sport Compact Slugfest" than it wouldn't be as big of a deal. Oh and I happen to like the rsx-s but it shouldn't be getting first place in a cheap speed contest.

·
Registered
737 Posts
autoxracer83 said:
OH ALSO.... LETS JUST HAVE A QUICK RESPECT TEST... I havnt seen a redline on the road yet but here are my thoughts when I see the fallowing cars.

SRT-4 (be carefull that could easily kick my ass)
WRX (as long as momy didnt buy it and its modded it could be trouble)
Cobalt (did mom or dad pay for that car???)
ACURA RSX (yeh momy definatly bought that) and (it could look like it had $15k dropped into it and i would still run it and expect to win with my NEARLY STOCK SRT-4) oh and DID MOMY BUY THE BODY KIT TOO?

AND ON THE TOPIC OF SELLING OUT RICH DADDY READS THIS MAGAZINE NOT US SO RICH MOMMY AND DADDY ARE GONNA BUY AN RSX or the MUCH SAFER WRX

I work in chicago land we got some rich neighborhoods. Everything out here is RSX, WRX, Integra Type R, and if you really got it bad grandma handed you down the Integra GSR. It not untill you get into the less expensive neighborhoods you see the SRT-4s primarily driven by Mexican's not be racist but in this area they might not know aftermarket but they obviously know BANG FOR THE BUCK.
What? the whole mom buying a car shit makes no sense. Some ones mom could have bought them an srt-4 . If my mom bought me a car i would at least want her to buy the fastest car for the money...so i would have her buy me an srt-4, not a rsx or some shit

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Def should not of been "Cheap Speed" Here are a few other options

"C&D gets down and sucks some Acura Dick"
"Cheap cars with the biggest cup holders"
"My $5 Cafe Latte & Best Interior Decor"

1 - 20 of 45 Posts