Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a meeting with my lawyer wednesday to discuss my shit box SRT-4 and i was wondering what kinda of internal damage, if any, an engine mis-fire can cause over a long period of time. My car has had a severe(in a couple instances it broke motor mounts) mis-fire problem for the last 25,000 miles or so. Supposedly its the crank sensor, but the dealer replaced it once and the car was fine for about a week, now its back to its old shitty self again.

·
Registered
91 Posts
solarCTsrt4 said:
i was wondering what kinda of internal damage, if any, an engine mis-fire can cause over a long period of time.
Depends on the condition. It can range from a damaged piston to a blown intake or head. Depends on when it happens in the cycle and how much fuel it's ignitiing.

·
Registered
709 Posts
It can cause engine damage, but first thing that will happen is the Catalytic converter will blow. I've seen them blow right apart.

What happens is all that raw fuel ignites in the Cat, since it's so damn hot in there. Do it enough and it'll break apart the "honeycomb" inside, or it can explode.

A guy had a bad coil on his Protege when he came in. It was running on 2 cylinders only. I looked under the hood with the car running, and I'm like wtf is that red thing underneath the exhaust manifold that's glowing? It was the cat glowing red hot!!! So I changed the coil and he was back next week with an exhaust leak. The Cat blew right open.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool, guess i ill just have to keep driving it with the mis-fire til something really bad happens, maybe then, Chrysler will get involved.

·
Registered
287 Posts
solarCTsrt4 said:
cool, guess i ill just have to keep driving it with the mis-fire til something really bad happens, maybe then, Chrysler will get involved.
Did you go back to the dealer again? what they say? As far "as getting Chrysler involved", did you call them?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Man, if your car has a bad misfire, they can't refuse you. Go back there and demand them to fix it, storm into the GM's office, better yet the owner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts