Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe someone here knows the answer to this question I have.

Does the RX8 gauge cluster communicate using the Standard CAN BUS protocol input and output to a ECU?

I know RACEPAK and others like it does but at a cost of $1k plus.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
I did a quick search and it looks like Mazda was using the CANbus (Controller Area Network (CAN) bus) protocol on the RX-8 and it looks like a few different people have reverse engineered that car's instrument cluster for use in other applications. A couple things to keep in mind if you're thinking of adapting it to an SRT-4 or any other car for that matter, there are many different variants of the CAN protocol which primarily defines the physical (actual wiring/signaling) layer and the data layer of how it transmits bits of information across the bus. There are also higher level protocols that define what those messages are and how different modules actually talk to and communicate with each other.

The SRT-4's NGC-1/NGC-3 controller uses a couple older protocols that aren't compatible with CAN but I recall you mentioning using a stand-alone powertrain controller. Even if that controller supported CAN it would need ot be the same protocol and talk the same "language", so to speak, over that protocol. That means your powertrain controller would either need to provide the correct messages over the bus or you'd need a computer module/controller to translate the messages into the format expected by the RX-8 cluster. Not sure if that helps with what you're trying to do but Bosch has some development and reference material on CAN (they initially developed it for automotive use) and there used to be some good reference material on the different variants out on the internet.

·
Premium Member
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks R/T. The tuner says that the DTA supports standard CAN protocol and I found the same things you saw. No one seems to have done it with the DTA and RX8 though or haven't posted it online. The difference in cost of a RacePak to a RX8 cluster is rather out of reach of the budget at the moment, money needed elsewhere. It is the nagging irritation that I have with the stock gauge cluster now that is making me start the research into this.;(

·
Premium Member
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SO I am back to this again hoping something has changed with getting the stock cluster to work with the output from the standalone ecu. I am in need of the protocol the stock cluster uses to work the gauges, my standalone can output it if it has that conversion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts