Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is at least one company producing cams for our car. I'm not looking for something off the reg. neon that will work for my car if I do this or that but an actual cam developed for the 2.4L turbo. Any info out there?

Anyone have any personal experience with install, results?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
The cams made by Crane will fit both the 2.0 and the 2.4l heads...The only difference is the cam sensors are located 90 degrees out from each other. The cams when you order them will have the "A" hole for the 2.0 and the "B" hole for the 2.4l head. They have an awesome set of turbo cams with a split duration profile. I have 2 buddies with these cams and they gained up to 30hp with a narly loping sound idle.......They perform very well with folks with bigger turbos....Quick spool is what was in mind when Crane developed them and you don't need to change out your vavle springs....

Plug and play. Now have fun changing them out, they're a bear.....I can help you get through it if you like...

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am VERY interested.
I believe I sent you a PM about a month ago asking. How bout performance w/ stock turbo? I just checked out Cranes website, www.cranecams.com and couldn't find jack shit about them. Do they need gears to tune? Any info you could give, sounds like you have alot, would be great. We can move this to PM if need be but let's put it out here for everyones knowledge. I'm trying to see what can be done w/ stock (unaltered) turbo. Thanks in advance.

What kinda money we talking also?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Super Steve said:
The cams when you order them will have the "A" hole for the 2.0 and the "B" hole for the 2.4l head.
hahahaha you said A hole...hahaha

Also Im wondering how these would perform on a stock turbo. Im THINKING since the stock turbo is so small that cams wouldnt do all that much seeing how the stocker couldnt pump too much more air into the motor. Then again i could be wrong....and i hope i am because I wouldnt mind extracting a few more ponies outta the beast.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how can the stock turbo not pump enough air into the motor? You're still under boost. I understand that is where the drop in boost is coming from, the turbo not supplying enough air to maintain a higher boost level. Is that what you're talking about? Anyway, let's not get this post off-topic.
I would like to keep this thread strictly cam related.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have Crane #18 Cams, just dyno tuned my car yesterday and it did 385/381 on 19psi on 93 octane for daily driving, also 327/305 on stock boost. Can't tell you if the cams did anything, but I haven't seen anyone make that kind of power with only 19psi, but i could be wrong. I am hoping for 500whp with 28psi and race gas. later

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
drewsrt said:
hahahaha you said A hole...hahaha

Also Im wondering how these would perform on a stock turbo. Im THINKING since the stock turbo is so small that cams wouldnt do all that much seeing how the stocker couldnt pump too much more air into the motor. Then again i could be wrong....and i hope i am because I wouldnt mind extracting a few more ponies outta the beast.
You are correct sir, if you are talking about the Crane #14 split durations with the the stock turbo you can make alot more torque (30 ft pounds) but your not going to make much horsepower. Bigger turbo you will make more horsepower.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
SRTREX said:
I have Crane #18 Cams, just dyno tuned my car yesterday and it did 385/381 on 19psi on 93 octane for daily driving, also 327/305 on stock boost. Can't tell you if the cams did anything, but I haven't seen anyone make that kind of power with only 19psi, but i could be wrong. I am hoping for 500whp with 28psi and race gas. later
Turbo size?

·
Registered
691 Posts
i just ordered at set of crane cams made for the srt-4. the grind number is 193-0014. we will see how well the stock turbo preforms with them. i will post results when i get them in the car next week.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
drewsrt said:
so would the HP number drop with aftermarket turbo cams?....or would you make more tq with around the same hp?
The HP could drop it depends on the grind and how much torque, it depends again on the grind and where you set the cam gears many factors involved. I tested the 193-0014's on the stock turbo, stock WGA, Stage 1, cam gears set at 4 advanced on the intake 3 retard on the exhaust. There was a huge lope fast spool lots of torque and they made about 15 hp over my prior dyno up to 4000 rpms then there was a major fall off. Made the car run richer in the higher rpms above 4000.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so gliv, you're reccomendation for use w/ stock turbo now and upgraded turbo in maybe a year (maxing out efficiency on stock motor/turbo before I upgrade) would be the 14's? Sounds like the winner to me. The 10 may be a lil too mild for the upgraded turbo later.
Has anyone had any PROVEN dyno results on a stock turbo'd car?
When you state your results, please list your mods as reference. I'm imagine with any set of aftermarket cams, you would want the upgraded intake, exhaust to handle the increased flow.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
also, you state that the 14's made about 15hp more in the bottom to mid-range but fell off hard on top. How was this during driving? Wouldn't that be more conducive to wheel spin? What cams do you think would excel in the top-side of the rpm range? Would you still go 14's and re-adjust the cam timing for more overlap further increasing cylinder scavenging?

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
im4u2nv81 said:
so gliv, you're reccomendation for use w/ stock turbo now and upgraded turbo in maybe a year (maxing out efficiency on stock motor/turbo before I upgrade) would be the 14's? Sounds like the winner to me. The 10 may be a lil too mild for the upgraded turbo later.
Has anyone had any PROVEN dyno results on a stock turbo'd car?
When you state your results, please list your mods as reference. I'm imagine with any set of aftermarket cams, you would want the upgraded intake, exhaust to handle the increased flow.
Yes I would recommend the 14's but only if you have something to deal with fuel on the stock set up. 10's are to mild keep in mind the 14's are designed for install without porting if you go with the 16's or 18's porting is recommended. I have dyno sheets at home. You need a 3" exhaust and a good intake.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
im4u2nv81 said:
also, you state that the 14's made about 15hp more in the bottom to mid-range but fell off hard on top. How was this during driving? Wouldn't that be more conducive to wheel spin? What cams do you think would excel in the top-side of the rpm range? Would you still go 14's and re-adjust the cam timing for more overlap further increasing cylinder scavenging?
Yes you will get more intense wheel spin but, you can balance some of that out with tire pressure. They make the car pull hard the spool up is very fast. All the cams from 14's to 18's will excel at the top end it just depends on long your rpm band is and if you have the mods to support the top end.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I prefer enhancing the top end even if it means losing low end (even would help acceleration if you ask me). Spooling the stocker (stock for now) faster is definitely not on my to-do list. However, looking long-term, that would be a good trait. But, that can always be done w/ cam timing adjustments.
Thanks for the info. Any more to add? Price?
Instructions on install or tips?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.