Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for any tire experts that may be out there. Is it possible to have a tire be completely balanced on a rim and still make the car shake at 55mph+? The guy at the tire place told me that the tire expands when it gets to those speeds and if the tire is cheaply made, it can lose it's shape and make the car vibrate. This seemed reasonable to me but I really know nothing about the subject. Anyone ever heard of such a thing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,452 Posts
Never heard of that before... I'd say if its got the proper pressure in it and you payed to have it balanced, then it shouldn't shimmy at 55 mph. Mine has a slight shimmy between 70 and 80... but its had that from the get go thru 2 different sets of tires..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
504 Posts
What about if they balanced with the old weights still on. For proper balancing, all of the old weights on the wheel should first be removed and then balanced. Otherwise you are balancing your previous balance (just offsetting extra weight from one place to another.)

Other than that, I'd check alignment.

I am NOT a tire expert by the way. Just something that seemed like common sense to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A little background info. I bought the wheel and tire set from wheeloptions.com and they shipped them out to me mounted and balanced. Put them on the car and had serious vibration. So I took them to a local tire shop to have the balance checked and it still vibrated. When I brought it back to them, they gave me the defective tire story

I asked if it could be a bent rim and they said their machine would have picked up on that. I'll admit that the tires in question (Hankook k106) are very cheap, so I could see them being faulty. I'm just starting to think the tire place is trying to get me to buy new tires from their shop.

Alignment isn't an issue, it runs straight as an arrow with original wheels and tires on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
There are many things that can make a vehicle shake especially with aftermarket wheel/tires. All the things stated above as well as the wheel and the hub fitment for one. Do you know if they had to put hub centric rings in as "spacers" so that the wheel would fit. If so that could be an issue. Have you jumped any curbs or hit any huge potholes. If so you could have loose suspention parts. Does it shake only at certain speeds? Like b/w 55-60 or does it shake when braking? Answer these ?'s and we can give you a better diagnosis.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I am using hub rings with these wheels (already verified they were the right size)

Vibration starts at around 55mph, I've been up to 80mph so far and they were still vibrating at that speed. It doesn't vibrate when braking.

These are brand new wheels, I've never hit any curbs or huge bumps. They've been on the car for maybe a total of 50 miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,096 Posts
Balancers are tough. General rule of thumb of they had to use a 1.00oz (I think there oz) or higher than they didn't balance them right. Tires naturally have "heavy" spots on them twhen there made. Theres no way around that, it's how there molded. So when you balance the wheel your in essance balancing for the "heavy" spot on the tire. This is one of the reasions tires have little yellow dots on them. Those dots are suppose to be inline with the tire shrader(sp) valve when they are mounted. Anyway I balanced many a tire that at first spin on a balancer they red 0 across the board. THen you would put them on the car and it would vibrate. Any GOOD tire shop when balancing a tire would to it a few times. IE tire is balanced to 0, then you would rotate the tire manually on the spindle for the balancer, lock it back down, and balance it again. If you end up with a difference the second time you didn't get the weights in the rignt spot the first time. Also, try to find a shop that has a balancer thst simulates the tire on the road to balance it. The balancer bacecally looks like a normal one however it has a little roller on it that the tire contacts when balancing. This type of balancer is the best however most places don't have it. Hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate everyones advice.

The main problem in all of this is that I'm in Florida and the place I got the wheels and tires from is in Cali. So it's kinda hard to take the car into their shop and tell them to fix it. I think I'll just send back these tires and buy some new ones from a local dealer that I can more easily hold accountable until it's working correctly. Thanks again for all the help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
435 Posts
Go to a reasonable tire shop and ask for your tires to be 'road forced' and 'finger balanced'

Road force will tell you if there is something wrong with the tire or rim and how much road force that tire has.

if they road force it and everything checks out fine... you shouldnt have a problem.

also let them know if you feel vibration in your seat... running in your legs... or if its all in the wheel.

-Jon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Good call Traxman199..you must have been a tire monkey too :) anyway Ownlee if that's what you decide to do hey more power to ya. Save up some coin and get a good set of rubber. Most likely you'll be less dissapointed then you are now. good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,096 Posts
SRT4DREW said:
Good call Traxman199..you must have been a tire monkey too :) anyway Ownlee if that's what you decide to do hey more power to ya. Save up some coin and get a good set of rubber. Most likely you'll be less dissapointed then you are now. good luck!
Once upon a time many moons ago. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Ownlee_Aneon said:
I appreciate everyones advice.

The main problem in all of this is that I'm in Florida and the place I got the wheels and tires from is in Cali. So it's kinda hard to take the car into their shop and tell them to fix it. I think I'll just send back these tires and buy some new ones from a local dealer that I can more easily hold accountable until it's working correctly. Thanks again for all the help.
Ok, my .02$...

I have had hankook tires, and didn't have any problems with them (not that that means anything).

I read that you have the hub-centric rings on the car, but did you first remove the crush washer when you mounted the ring/wheel combo onto your car?

There are crush washers placed on the brake rotors at the factory to aid in assembly of the brake rotor/caliper. The stock wheels have a dished mounting surface to allow them to clear these washers. Aftermarket wheels don't, and if the surface isn't flat when you mount the wheel you will get a vibration.

The following link has pictures of what you are looking for:
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47594&highlight=crush+washers

Good Luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,220 Posts
We sell hankooks all the time and don't ever have any problems with them. Call around and see if you can find a place that can "high speed balance" them on the car. We've had this done on the last couple of wheels we've had on the Magnum and it takes care of any and all vibrations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,112 Posts
:imwithstu
qwxilvr said:
Ok, my .02$...

I have had hankook tires, and didn't have any problems with them (not that that means anything).

I read that you have the hub-centric rings on the car, but did you first remove the crush washer when you mounted the ring/wheel combo onto your car?

There are crush washers placed on the brake rotors at the factory to aid in assembly of the brake rotor/caliper. The stock wheels have a dished mounting surface to allow them to clear these washers. Aftermarket wheels don't, and if the surface isn't flat when you mount the wheel you will get a vibration.

The following link has pictures of what you are looking for:
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47594&highlight=crush+washers

Good Luck.
:imwithstu
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top