Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i didnt realize what happened until i got it towed home... busy highway couldnt walk around the car. about a week ago i started hearing a noise which i thought was my shocks on the front right side starting to go... since only heard or felt it when i hit any small bumps. but after reading other threads sounds like it could have been a loose bolt on the caliper. i did the last rotor and pad change about 3 months ago. i havent yet taken the wheel off because my jackstands are lent out to a friend. i just think i would have felt a loose caliper before something like this happens. there was no pull when braking or anything, just all of a sudden this. i just want to know how much damage it has really done and if it is something me and a buddy could do(he knows cars more than me lol) or if i should just take to a shop

pics taken with cell... will update as day goes on

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
same exact stuff happened to me a few years ago. Luckily i was going through a constructins zone and only doing 10mph. Car came to an abrupt stop pulling hard right. Had it happened a few minutes before when i was on the highway, it would have been bad news for me and my family. :eeeek:
Had it towed 75 miles home. Messed up the inside of the wheel but not enough to throw it out of round. I replaced bolt with PROPER TORQUE spec. All's been golden since. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay yeah it must have been me when i did the rotor and pads :stab:... bolt was loose, didnt fall out. put it all back together, havent driven it yet but i will do a once around the block soon. didnt look like the rotor took any damage. caliper is scratched a bit. the wheel took most of the damage. but i was going 120 kmh on the highway when this happened so i think ill get it checked at a shop still...

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
Did you torque the bolts? I just took off a calipers and the bolts seem a bit small-I am going to use med lock tight after seeing this pic>:mopar: Oh, what is the torque on the caliper bolts?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
looks just like mine did :stab:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i asked a mechanic what the torque should be when i did the rotor and pads. he told just to go as tight as i can. wtf was he thinking.... obviously didnt work. i just got some blue(med) lock tight and did all calipers. i dont know how safe it is to ride on this wheel anymore, sucks because i need to get to work.

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
that mechanic is a idiot-torque the bolt no more if you strip it-the bolt will come undone for sure-this is what sloppy mechanics do-i hat them because I see this kind of thing all the time:flame: med lock tight will not hurt anything and is made to come undone with hand tools, but perhaps lock tight isn't a good idea-25 pounds should hold it on for sure!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well everything seems fine now. but either my rotor has a warp or my brake pad got some uneven ware, because every now and then i hear the brakes rubbing on that side. sounds like the rotor is warped tho. but i have only heard it twice and cant seem to make it do it, just randomly does

1 - 12 of 12 Posts