Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested in possibly buying one in the next few days and would greatly appreciate insight on what to look for on one of these stock. What maintenance should be done by 60k or so Miles? What are common issues these cars have? Not much info online about them besides articles making fun.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
16,958 Posts
Interested in possibly buying one in the next few days and would greatly appreciate insight on what to look for on one of these stock. What maintenance should be done by 60k or so Miles? What are common issues these cars have? Not much info online about them besides articles making fun.
Thanks
They do catch a lot of hell but honestly a lot of it is unwarranted. Yes the looks are very subjective, yes they don't handle quite as well as the Neon version, but stock for stock in a straight line it's a very close race. I didn't care for the truck feel of the seats or the location of the stick shift, but the interior is actually decent by comparison to the Neon, and I think the rims are great too.

I can't answer much with respect to issues with them as I've never owned one, only test drove a couple. We don't have a lot of Caliber SRT4 owners here, as you likely know, but there are a few Caliber specific forums out there that can probably help with your search.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They do catch a lot of hell but honestly a lot of it is unwarranted. Yes the looks are very subjective, yes they don't handle quite as well as the Neon version, but stock for stock in a straight line it's a very close race. I didn't care for the truck feel of the seats or the location of the stick shift, but the interior is actually decent by comparison to the Neon, and I think the rims are great too.

I can't answer much with respect to issues with them as I've never owned one, only test drove a couple. We don't have a lot of Caliber SRT4 owners here, as you likely know, but there are a few Caliber specific forums out there that can probably help with your search.
thanks for your reply. I tried some of those forums and people where not helpful.Just regular caliber info.
I need a DD and always wanted a srt4 but honestly the neon is scary as a DD in todays day and age where these millennial drivers are addicted to their phones. Wouldn’t feel too good about getting t boned in a neon by any modern car. Shame because I’d love one…

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good luck finding a nice one!
found a very nice one already. It would be nice if someone would give me some info

I manage a classic car sourcing company in addition to my regular job. I’ve found 10,20,30 year old cars with under 10k miles hundreds of times. I own some of the lowest mileage specialty cars of the early 2000s. I don’t need luck.

·
Registered
576 Posts
found a very nice one already. It would be nice if someone would give me some info

I manage a classic car sourcing company in addition to my regular job. I’ve found 10,20,30 year old cars with under 10k miles hundreds of times. I own some of the lowest mileage specialty cars of the early 2000s. I don’t need luck.
They only made 2,500 of them or something like that. Stat's on issues are not likely to be easily found. The transmission is not found in any other car. The block is aluminum. The LSD is done with the ABS, so rotors warp. There is only 1 year remaining on factory parts, be wary of things like worn out struts if you demand OEM. It's an economy car, tons of plastic. Check all vacuum hoses.

Beyond that, check all things you normally would. Check for milkshake under the oil cap, listen to the valvetrain, test out the clutch, etc. Research issues with standard Calibers (rust on side skirt connection points).

Be wary of anything modded.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They only made 2,500 of them or something like that. Stat's on issues are not likely to be easily found. The transmission is not found in any other car. The block is aluminum. The LSD is done with the ABS, so rotors warp. There is only 1 year remaining on factory parts, be wary of things like worn out struts if you demand OEM. It's an economy car, tons of plastic. Check all vacuum hoses.

Beyond that, check all things you normally would. Check for milkshake under the oil cap, listen to the valvetrain, test out the clutch, etc. Research issues with standard Calibers (rust on side skirt connection points).

Be wary of anything modded.
It’s out of state ill have to do another sight unseen purchase unfortunately. What would you ask for pics of? It’s with its og owner w/63k miles on it and the guys older

·
Registered
576 Posts
Underbody depending on state. Engine bay. Close up of each body panel. Boost gauge at peak boost. Dash while running and at temp. His pics should replace your test drive. Remote purchases always risk a head gasket issue IMO.

Edit: Interior if it would break the deal for you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Underbody depending on state. Engine bay. Close up of each body panel. Boost gauge at peak boost. Dash while running and at temp. His pics should replace your test drive. Remote purchases always risk a head gasket issue IMO.

Edit: Interior if it would break the deal for you.
I will. It’s really clean.

I was going to buy it as a nice weather daily. I’ve got other cars too..I just hope it isn’t horrible to drive. Is it anything like a speed3?

·
Super Moderator
16,958 Posts
I've personally never owned one, but I'd like to if the right opportunity presents itself.
I would own one today if they had been ready for sale on time, there was a lot of hype on the Caliber version that didn't live up to promises. Not to say it wasn't quick, but at one point they were talking as though the car would run low 13's in the quarter stock.

The SRT4 version of the Caliber was first showcased in February of 2006 at the Chicago Auto Show, 5 months after production of the Neon SRT4 ended. The plan at the time was for the car to go on sale in late spring or early summer of 2006. Due to some frustrating issues with engine component placement, due to the turbo and other "go fast" parts, the Caliber version of the SRT4 was delayed.

Dodge released production details on September 1st of 2006, stating the car would have "300 horsepower and 260 lb ft of torque". Car still wasn't on sale. At this point it didn't matter, I'd bought my brand new Neon SRT-4 in May, got tired of waiting lol.

On October 30th Dodge featured the Caliber SRT4 at the 2007 Sema show:
Wheel Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting
Land vehicle Car Vehicle Wheel Grille

These were brochure pictures, this car was apparently not at the show, or at the very least not in the same area.

Car Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

This is the Mopar area of the Sema show in 2007, note the Caliber SRT4s in the center, white and red. (click for a larger photo)

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

A couple of close up pictures of the white Caliber SRT-4, couldn't find any of the red one.

These were source from 2007 SEMA Show-7 | | SuperCars.net

And... SURPRISE< still not on sale.

After a lot of research I wasn't able to lock down the actual DAY specifically that they went on sale, but it appears you could put down a deposit on them in early November. Earliest I could find anyone actually purchasing one was mid December, maybe late December 2007. So about 7 months later than they were supposed to have gone on sale. While some sources will list 2007 as the first year Caliber, the ones produced and sold in 2007 were actually model year 2008 SRT4s. If someone else can find the exact first sale day, I'll post it up here.

Ultimately the car had only 285 horsepower, but upped the torque from original estimates by 5 to 265.

The Caliber SRT4 only last for two model years (2008 & 2009) and only 5,562 Caliber SRT4s were ever built (2008: 4,586, 2009: 976). Now there is a lot of argument here, because Allpar themselves (and they are usually pretty good at knowing this stuff) claims less than 1000 were sold. But in this instance I believe they are wrong.

The overall Caliber line launched in early 2006 and continued production through December 21, 2011.

The overall production numbers are another thing to consider when purchasing a Caliber SRT-4. Finding replacement parts will be far more difficult than the Neon SRT-4, because at most Dodge sold just over 100k Calibers (2007) but by 2011 they were down to 34,000. The Neon parts that match the SRT4 version (for the most part) would go from 2000 - 2005. Yes, there was a "3rd gen" as they called it, in 2003, but not really a ground up revamp, but an exterior "refresh". Sales in that time were between 140,000 to 180,000, with 2005 being lower because production ended in September of that year.

A very good article in which they bring up the highs and lows compared to the Neon version is:

More good info:

Anyways, went down the rabbit hole just a bit for you to get some more info.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would own one today if they had been ready for sale on time, there was a lot of hype on the Caliber version that didn't live up to promises. Not to say it wasn't quick, but at one point they were talking as though the car would run low 13's in the quarter stock.

The SRT4 version of the Caliber was first showcased in February of 2006 at the Chicago Auto Show, 5 months after production of the Neon SRT4 ended. The plan at the time was for the car to go on sale in late spring or early summer of 2006. Due to some frustrating issues with engine component placement, due to the turbo and other "go fast" parts, the Caliber version of the SRT4 was delayed.

Dodge released production details on September 1st of 2006, stating the car would have "300 horsepower and 260 lb ft of torque". Car still wasn't on sale. At this point it didn't matter, I'd bought my brand new Neon SRT-4 in May, got tired of waiting lol.

On October 30th Dodge featured the Caliber SRT4 at the 2007 Sema show:
View attachment 149694 View attachment 149695
These were brochure pictures, this car was apparently not at the show, or at the very least not in the same area.

View attachment 149696
This is the Mopar area of the Sema show in 2007, note the Caliber SRT4s in the center, white and red. (click for a larger photo)

View attachment 149697 View attachment 149698
A couple of close up pictures of the white Caliber SRT-4, couldn't find any of the red one.

These were source from 2007 SEMA Show-7 | | SuperCars.net

And... SURPRISE< still not on sale.

After a lot of research I wasn't able to lock down the actual DAY specifically that they went on sale, but it appears you could put down a deposit on them in early November. Earliest I could find anyone actually purchasing one was mid December, maybe late December 2007. So about 7 months later than they were supposed to have gone on sale. While some sources will list 2007 as the first year Caliber, the ones produced and sold in 2007 were actually model year 2008 SRT4s. If someone else can find the exact first sale day, I'll post it up here.

Ultimately the car had only 285 horsepower, but upped the torque from original estimates by 5 to 265.

The Caliber SRT4 only last for two model years (2008 & 2009) and only 5,562 Caliber SRT4s were ever built (2008: 4,586, 2009: 976). Now there is a lot of argument here, because Allpar themselves (and they are usually pretty good at knowing this stuff) claims less than 1000 were sold. But in this instance I believe they are wrong.

The overall Caliber line launched in early 2006 and continued production through December 21, 2011.

The overall production numbers are another thing to consider when purchasing a Caliber SRT-4. Finding replacement parts will be far more difficult than the Neon SRT-4, because at most Dodge sold just over 100k Calibers (2007) but by 2011 they were down to 34,000. The Neon parts that match the SRT4 version (for the most part) would go from 2000 - 2005. Yes, there was a "3rd gen" as they called it, in 2003, but not really a ground up revamp, but an exterior "refresh". Sales in that time were between 140,000 to 180,000, with 2005 being lower because production ended in September of that year.

A very good article in which they bring up the highs and lows compared to the Neon version is:

More good info:

Anyways, went down the rabbit hole just a bit for you to get some more info.
Thank you!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts