Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Banned
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I have been blowing the hi beam fuse to my headlights, it blew twice before I decided not the put another fuse in, and my car acts like its misfiring when its starts to boost past 12psi I changed the spark plugs and wires thinking it would fix the misfiring...it didn't. well driving down the road to a friends house to install my new blitz tt. I smelt something burn. I passed it off because the smell went away. Well when I got to his house and started to take off the steering colum plastic we noticed that the big wire harness the was connected behing the steering wheel was melted brunt and cracked! Could this be the cause of all my problems??!! Someone please help!!!!

· Registered
8,268 Posts
I had the same issue about a week back. Park lights wouldnt come on. Traced issue back to stalk. Ended up takng stalk apart to fix, but the harness on the left side was partially melted.

I didnt take it in, because the dumbfucks that represent dodge would have blamed it on the CD player or my turbo timber.

· Banned
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the stalk? I don't have the tt install or a aftermarket cd player. What could have happened. Sorry for sounding like a newbie. I'm just not all that could with wiring.

· Banned
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

· Banned
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jaymzx said:
Holy hell. Yea that's like 2x the current drain and could set your steering column on fire..

I suggest buying an aftermarket headlight harness and run as much wattage as you want before you melt the headlamp housing.
where can i find one of these harnesses?

· Registered
13,981 Posts
Here's an example:
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=2310&prmenbr=361

They're also available around the net if you're scared of the APC name. All it does is use the existing headlamp circuit to switch a set of 40A relays, which draw power directly from the battery via 12ga or bigger wires. If you're handy with a crimper, you can find schematics on the net and make your own.

· Registered
746 Posts
FWDRacer1838 said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33710&item=7924587785&rd=1

These are the bulbs that i'm using...I'm going to be returning them back to stock when I go to the stealership this week. I still want to use these bulbs looks great. Or will it just fry the harness again?
That's your problem right there. They are too powerful. Change back to the stock wattage. You are lucky the car didn't catch on fire. It has happended to several BMW owners I now.

Percy

· Registered
67 Posts
We @ DEI have many heat protection products that will protect your wiring harnesses and looms from engine heat, but if the wattage your bulbs are pushing is to hot for the stock wiring they will melt from the inside out!

Check out our website @ www.designengineering.com

Feel free to call me at the office anytime: 1-800-264-9472

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.