Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forums and I'm thinking about trading my 500hp trans am for a built srt4. According to what the guy has told me the build was done recently and only has about 1000 miles on it, The car has about 80k. I haven't had a chance to see it yet because we live about 2hrs apart and because of the distance when we do finally meet up it will be a trade or pass scenario. Here are some details on the build.

he wrote:
That's fine, it all has about 1k miles on it if that. Agp manifold, borg warner s256 63Ar on 28lbs boost, agp front mount intercooler, precision 39mm wastegate, external dump, walbro 255, return line, regulator, 1200cc injectors, act xtss clutch, nitto neogen 225 45 17, tuned on dsp by Dave trojohn, just to name a few things. It puts about 2 cars on my friends 2014 mustang coyote that's supercharged and it made 718whp, also beat a built 07 vette that made 540whp. I have 2 other cars and was just looking for a camaro or something to turbo.

What's it worth and what should I watch out for? Only other real offer I have on the trans am is a 2004 stock sti with 150000 miles so I'm feeling the neon. I'm not familiar with the srt4 and have been reading up and I like the strength and reliability of the srt4 but everybody says to stay away from heavily modded cars. If everything he says is true about the build I think it is worth it but I want to know what to look for to avoid a nightmare.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
You have a 500 hp trans am? I wouldnt bother with a neon dude. These cars start breaking shit at 400hp and arent thst much fun after that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The trans am is a drag car, it won't be long before state regulations prevent me from driving on the road with all of the safety features that have been removed. Plus I'm looking for something I can take my wife and kids around in. I really want something awd like an sti or a audi Quattro with a 2.7t. What parts start to break? What I saw said that they are good to about 600whp, is that not true? Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Well input shafts break, strong clutches wear out throwout forks and bearings more quickly, you have to use a puck clutch after 500 hp as a street disk wont hold the power as long. Not to mention 6 puck clutches dont last veey long in the city. It can spiral out of control if you dont know,what youre doing. Id run away from an sti unless you like building motors. Audi as a lease might be a good idea.
As for wife and kids yeah a neon might not,be a good idea.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anything fit the bill? I want reliable 4 door with a stick and somewhat fast. He said the forks were upgraded and the clutch is upgraded. How much would the neon be worth if everything is done right and it is putting down 500hp? Are there any issues with the motor at that much hp? Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is not my only car either, I have a 2011 legacy 3.6r and a 2010 Mazda 3 so it doesn't have to be the perfect do all car but I also don't want a money pit.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
looks clean, i'd guess it would go for $7k -- and dyno's ~500hp / 2900lbs

surprised it pulled on the coyote.

the srt4 is the best bang for the buck fwd car, period.

not sure you'll be happy with fwd because the 60' times are much higher than a rwd on the street.... after that the srt4 will pull on most cars.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im more interested in something I can drive in snow if I need to. I know the srt isn't ideal in snow but the ta with 4:10s is just irresponsible to drive in the snow. I work nights and when I leave work road conditions are usually different then when I got there. Every time I drive the trans am I risk that come morning there will be ice or snow. I want something I could drive all year and not be overly worried. Plus the trans am has the ac, abs, and traction control deleted, it's not entirely safe in dry weather. Not to mention my wife hates it and my kids are terrified of it. I love the car but I can never enjoy it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Im more interested in something I can drive in snow if I need to. I know the srt isn't ideal in snow but the ta with 4:10s is just irresponsible to drive in the snow. I work nights and when I leave work road conditions are usually different then when I got there. Every time I drive the trans am I risk that come morning there will be ice or snow. I want something I could drive all year and not be overly worried. Plus the trans am has the ac, abs, and traction control deleted, it's not entirely safe in dry weather. Not to mention my wife hates it and my kids are terrified of it. I love the car but I can never enjoy it.

SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
I daily my srt-4 in VA and it drives good in all weather. Guess you just have to know how to drive it. If it's lowered it could be a little harder to handle in rain and snow, but I see people driving mini coopers and what not in the snow so.... if you need awd to go to work... You probably shouldn't be going in ...

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
its great in the snow, fwd - lsd - snow tires, provided its not lowered..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I daily my srt-4 in VA and it drives good in all weather. Guess you just have to know how to drive it. If it's lowered it could be a little harder to handle in rain and snow, but I see people driving mini coopers and what not in the snow so.... if you need awd to go to work... You probably shouldn't be going in ...
Good to know, I have the legacy for bad days just want my toy car to be good for those occasional snow flurry mornings that the news didn't know about.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
When you put 'reliable' in the mix, at 500HP you are on the edge already. Supporting mods will help with that but you also don't know how much this SRT has been beat on. Him racing his buddies and knowing and saying how much he pulls on his friends makes one think it has been driven hard.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
T4eater has me a little worried about issues. What should I look for and ask about to make sure its stable and not gonna blow a rod or something? How often does the timing belt need to be changed? Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When you put 'reliable' in the mix, at 500HP you are on the edge already. Supporting mods will help with that but you also don't know how much this SRT has been beat on. Him racing his buddies and knowing and saying how much he pulls on his friends makes one think it has been driven hard.
I wish there was a way to know, I have a snap on scanner and he has the tuner so I can look for codes and knock. I'm guessing if there are issues I'll find them that way.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
Timing belt should have been changed during the rebuild. You can see it if the cam cover is removed. That may tell you if he is embellishing too about the recent rebuild as to how clean the belt is and surrounding area.
The interior looks good.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He said it has rods and pistons too. Is there a way to check that like pulling a plug and using a snake cam?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
supposed to be Wiseco Pistons Manley I-Beam Rods. Looks like they are serialized on the top of the piston so I should be able to check that worth the snake cam.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
most aftermarket pistons are dished, and you should be able to tell if there not stock pistons

stock on the left

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all of the tips guys, any other advise is welcome but I think I have a pretty good starting point. I know the value might not be even but the car sounds perfect(aside from awd).

1 - 20 of 63 Posts