Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone who bought their srt aknowlegded the break-in period. (keep below 4000 rpm for first 3-4 weeks, and when car is purchased keep at 2000 rpm for about 45 minutes)....You should not abuse your car if its still very new. This can cause glazing over your pistons and scratches along your cylinder walls. This lowers your compression a whole lot...keep that in mind next time you drive.

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
the ones ive been in were babied for 500-700 miles before WOT was introduced

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds like a good period of time.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I sorta feel bad for the person who buys the SRT-4 I test drove. I really reved it hard. Even bounced it off the rev limiter once. It had like 1 mile on it before I drove it too....still had the plastic on all the seats, and stuff, lol. But godamn, im still giddy from the test drive... :twisted:

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
I beleive they bounce it off the limiter from the factory. They have to do test on it before its shipped out.

I doubt you harmed it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lets all hope not. I think at the factory they do it for just a slight period of time, nothing substantial. Hopefully you didnt do any harm to it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The funny thing is that I was sorta babying the car, but the salesman was like "Camon man, open her up!".....so I really let loose.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
i have been easy on my car i hope but i have drov it over 2000 thousand rpms when i took it off the lot cause i had to get on the freeway, i may have been over 5000 a few times im only at 150 miles on my ride. should i take it easier on my car?

·
Registered
48 Posts
SRT-Hunter, did you test drive it at Huntington Beach Dodge? I think I remember you saying you did...And if so, what salesman did you drive with? I drove with Jessie and he was telling me the same thing, to feel the power!

·
Registered
175 Posts
cutlass4lfe said:
SRT-Hunter, did you test drive it at Huntington Beach Dodge? I think I remember you saying you did...And if so, what salesman did you drive with? I drove with Jessie and he was telling me the same thing, to feel the power!
hahah, ya!! I tested at Huntington beach dodge. I think the guys name might have been jesse....he was just a little chubby, white guy, light hair, and i think he had a goatee or something. I had to tell him I was interested in buying the car to get a test drive. We went back to his office, and he told me to bring my car around so he can take a look at it for trade in value, and i just took off. Lol, i still feel kinda bad for some reason, but it was worth it.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
The owners manual states that the engine does not require a long break in period. It says only to take it easy for the first 300 miles. I did that on the 1100 mile ride home, but after 300 I started brief wot runs (4 - 5 secs) to seat the rings. The owners manual states that's good for the engine too ("up to legal limits" haha).

As I was travelling north on I-95, Corey/Modern Performance passed me by in his black SRT-4. I sooo wanted to catch up to him and have some fun, but I was trying to be good with the engine. I talked to him yesterday about it and told him I was trying to keep the car under 60 for the break-in, and he told me that he couldn't do that. ;-) It's hard with this car. It just wants to go fast.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
drolander said:
The owners manual states that the engine does not require a long break in period. It says only to take it easy for the first 300 miles. I did that on the 1100 mile ride home, but after 300 I started brief wot runs (4 - 5 secs) to seat the rings. The owners manual states that's good for the engine too ("up to legal limits" haha).

As I was travelling north on I-95, Corey/Modern Performance passed me by in his black SRT-4. I sooo wanted to catch up to him and have some fun, but I was trying to be good with the engine. I talked to him yesterday about it and told him I was trying to keep the car under 60 for the break-in, and he told me that he couldn't do that. ;-) It's hard with this car. It just wants to go fast.
I didn't keep my car under 60 for break in, but I didn't go past 4500 rpm. I sat in fifth gear and WOT from 3k to 4-4500k, then engine breaked down to 3k again. After 400 miles, I started doing this in forth gear. Yesterday, with 1500 miles on it, I changed the oil to M1 and drove it hard.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Wide Open Throttle

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
I picked up my SRT in DelRay Beach, FL and it already had 70 miles on the odometer. I had asked my salesman if he would personally drive the car before I picked it up so I didn't have to go out on the Florida turnpike with a engine with no miles on it. I drove back up to Tampa and then to Wisconsin. The first thing I noticed was in 5th the car just seemed to accelerate effortlessly up to about 70-75mph. The engine was running without effort so I drove at that speed back to Tampa. When I started back to WI I noticed the fuel mileage climb with each tank of fuel. By the fifth tank my fuel mileage was running between 29-31 mpg.

I now have almost 2000 miles on the car and am just noticing some slight discoloration in the Mobil One oil they come with. Factory says no service until 6000 miles. Cold weather driving first service is 3000. I will change before 3000.

I feel that after the first 1000 miles you are go to run it up to red line, just don't hold it there. The natural throttle accelration and deceleration you do with a manual transmission will give you a good break in.

The best I have had mine up to so far is 140 and only briefly. 0-100 spurts are almost effortless in this car.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Exhaust Depot said:
Yes I babied mine from day one. :) I now have about 2100 miles thuse far.
Hey bro whats up??...IM gonna get mine soon...srt-4 that is. When should i start to get on it. When should i change my oil for the first time. I have read many peoples opinions but it seems like u know ure shit!!! 8)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts