Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that BOV's don't add HP so I'm not really concerned there, but I do want to hear that sound and to get the air outta there ASAP. So my question is what do I get, how easy is it to install, and what gains are there. thanks in advance to whomever answers my question, I'm new to turbo's and engines in genral but I notice people In my car club don't know shit about cars. shame on me for founding it huh?

·
Registered
697 Posts
the main benifits of a bov are that the turbo kepps spining so it reduces lag (if you have any ) and it will give you fast et's in the 1/4 not much but every little bit counts (lol) that and you won't get compresser surge . that's what happens when you shift and let off of the gas and all of that commpressed air from the turbo hit's the butterfly and may be harmful to the turbo and could even damage it! so in the long run bov's are worth the money and time spent on the install. that and there's nothing like that sound when you pull up next to some unexpecting honda and let the bov rip and you scare the crap out of the ricer !!!!
thanks and enjoy
lloyd :twisted:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yup - no hp gains, just longer turbo life (not stopping the turbine dead every time you close the throttle).

Find a first gen Talon BOV from a wreckers (with flange) and weld it on. Lower intercooler tube is best. This BOV will hold to 20psi before it leaks. It can be modded to hold more with some simple additions.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what about the aftermarket BOV's they make for the SRT-4? How much are those and how much brains would it take to install? My Friend Lives in Plymouth and owns a Turbo Talon TSI, unfourtunatly I see the kid maybe 4 times a year, Just trying to get a rough estiamte of cost and time. BTW, thanks for those of you who answered most of my questions. I'm now armed with actual knowledge.

·
Registered
537 Posts
pick up the latest of sport compact car with the turbo stuff all over the cover. They tested different ones and a couple of em surge pretty bad for being so expensive.

·
Super Moderator
Black ‘21 Mach 1 Mustang Tremec 6-Speed/Recaros
6,326 Posts
bubba said:
pick up the latest of sport compact car with the turbo stuff all over the cover. They tested different ones and a couple of em surge pretty bad for being so expensive.
Which ones?

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
RUgoinup said:
Which ones?

STOCK
-----------
mitsubishi dv from 1g dsm
mitsubishi dv from 2g dsm
subaru wrx dv
mazda dv from fd (3rd gen) rx-7
nissan r32 skyline gt-r dv
bosch dv from audi a4 1.8t

AFTERMARKET
--------------
a'pexi twin chamber BOV
bailey motorsports alloy dv
blitz super sound BOV dd
hks ssqv BOV
stratmosphere hyperboost dv
vortech race bybass valve
forge motorsport fast road & piston ram BOV
greddy type s and type r dvs

·
Super Moderator
Black ‘21 Mach 1 Mustang Tremec 6-Speed/Recaros
6,326 Posts
I'm glad the one I'm getting isn't on the list! Thanks for the info LID.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Posted: Sun May 04, 2003 9:06 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pick up the latest of sport compact car with the turbo stuff all over the cover. They tested different ones and a couple of em surge pretty bad for
being so expensive.
Posted: Sun May 04, 2003 9:57 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by RUgoinup:
Which ones?

STOCK
-----------
mitsubishi dv from 1g dsm
mitsubishi dv from 2g dsm
subaru wrx dv
mazda dv from fd (3rd gen) rx-7
nissan r32 skyline gt-r dv
bosch dv from audi a4 1.8t

AFTERMARKET
--------------
a'pexi twin chamber BOV
bailey motorsports alloy dv
blitz super sound BOV dd
hks ssqv BOV
stratmosphere hyperboost dv
vortech race bybass valve
forge motorsport fast road & piston ram BOV
greddy type s and type r dvs

Thats the list of the ones tested. None of them had any problems allowing surging. I think you need to reread the article and read the graphs a little more closely. It shows how the release of pressure happens and how long it takes in a shift. The spikes you see on the chart are not really surges on the compressor. You will also notice that Different turbo systems will get different results out of different blow offs.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, well has anyone tried anyone of those, and has anyone installed a BOV without welding here? and what did they use? and Rough estimate of how much time it took and how much it cost? there are aftermarket shops that can do it for me but I want to be a little more independent.

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
Digichris said:
Thats the list of the ones tested. None of them had any problems allowing surging. I think you need to reread the article and read the graphs a little more closely.
i thought he asked which ones they tested. i didnt say any of them surged.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
The only advantage you could possibly see is a faster boost return on shifts. There will be no HP gains due to the fact that you are only really changing the way left over boost is diverted out of the Piping and pressure taking of the Intake Throttle body butterfly. You going to blow that air into the atmosphere rather then back into the piping for recirculation. Benefits are going to be seen in turbo life and higher boost will be attainable later down the line with out your blow off valve failing or leaking. Its about 139 for the Upper pressure pipe from ATP and another 180 to 215 for the HKS SSQ BOV which is what I would recommend. It takes about an hour to install if you prepare everything before you crawl under the car. Meaning put on Hose connectors and Clamps on ends of new UPP then put on the blow off valve facing which ever way you want. I would recommend down so things don't fall down inside. Make sure to let ATP which BOV you are going to use so they send you the right flang. Good luck.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm sure the SRT-4 has some sort of recirculating valve on it from the factory, correct? If so, then why bother changing it if you aren't planning on upping your boost a considerable bit? If you just want it for the "whoosss" sound, then feel free to waste your money.

The other thing you want to consider is if the SRT-4 is uses a MAF sensor you can actually have adverse effects by venting the air to the atmosphere.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Billy said:
Here is a good article talking about some of the drawbacks of aftermarket BOVs.
Yes in therory he's right.... however, in this case from what I undersatnd this article holds no value to the SRT. 1, the SRT uses a MAP sensor and no MAF sensor, so venting to atmosphere is not an issue. 2, the stock "surge valve" is not that good, it has a bad reaction time (it's very slow with small paedal adjustments). And in cases of higer boost, the surge valve does not have enough flow to vent off properly the amount we need. You ask just about any SRT owner on here with an aftermarket BOV, and I don't think you'll find many that have'nt seen at least some good results by adding it.

Oh hey, on that guy's turbo timer comments, I think he's full of shit, and furthermore a complete and fucking hopeless moron. I've been doing car alarms for 7+ years now, profesionally, and I'd like to think I could easily hot wire any car if I wanted to, and the fact that a car has a turbo timer doesn't mean shit about it being easier to steal. Wanna make a car easier to steal? Leave the doors unlocked.

Of course if it (turbo timer) wasn't nessasary after hard driving, I'm sure Dodge would have not told the same in the owners manual where it clearly states "Allow for the turbo to cool down before turning off the car, after drivning hard".

Jon

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.