Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, while Im new to the turbo game, I have been reading all your posts on things and am learning alot. What I need to know, is with out having to buy a good A/F gauge and the lot, if I get a MBC what is the limit it could be set af safely? I spike at about 14 PSI and run at 11-12 WOT. Would it be safe to set the boost to 15 PSI? It would probably spike to 17, then run at 14-15? Is it even worth it? Im just trying to get a little more out of the car, with out having to go hi tech/ big budget. Thanks for the wealth of info here!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yes, you will be safe at 15 psi. Until someone monitors what's happening past 15 psi, we're not sure what the limits of the stock system are.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Tuning via an a/f gauge is a disservice to your car. Get the MBC goto a dyno preferably one that is familiar with turboed cars and tune it there. The A/F gauge will give you indications of a problem with your car but is not accurate enough to safely tune by. If you do get an A/F guege get the dawes devices one or a wideband one. I would also recommend an EGT gauge I would recommend the egt over the A/F in fact.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
YOu can run 15psi all day long with no problems. IF it spikes to 16-17 and settles at 15 your good to go and you will feel a big difference.

My dyno showed 11/1 fuel on the wideband and thats a safe number. 12/1 is more aggressive but is a good number for putting down power. 12.5/1 is the max I would go. But yeah you should be happy at 15psi. You can boost at that all day long.

Hec

·
Registered
582 Posts
I plan on using 15 when i get my EBC. I tried acr's dollar mod and it just didn't like my car it was going 15 at partial and then 7/8 WOT it went and landed at 19 psi :shock: lets just said it came out after we stopped. But i'm sure there is some good room to play with in these cars, just don't want detonation with these pistons

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
get a nice dual stage, low boost off the line to prevent wheel spin, then flip the switch and go to full boost.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
If you want a good and cheap turbo timer, you can go with the Greddy profec B. You can set the boost to stock 11psi or lower so when you launch out of the hole, then you hit the scramble boost button (sold seperatly) that mounts to your steering wheel and that will then turn up the boost to what ever you set at your max setting. So once your in second you can turn up the boost.

The boost starts to drop after 5krpm. This is due to the weak 4psi spring inside the dashpot on the turbo. If you shorten the arm or ad a spring to make the wastgate open with more tension, then you should be able to hold the 15psi.

IM currently working on something for that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
Exhaust Depot
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing