Dodge SRT Forum banner
461 - 470 of 470 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Boost Leak

My car doesn't seem to be pulling as hard as it should in first and second and im pretty sure its a vacuum/boost leak of some sort. It builds to like 7 then it'll start going down, boost up, and then go down again. Does anyone have any suggestions on what this could be or should I just go have a leak test done? Thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just read through most of these pages... about gauge readings and boost leaks... Thought I'd share with you my issue.... My car may SOMETIMES reads 7-10psi.... and in higher gears typically only 5-7psi. Totally stock car with only a 3"ebay TBE. But.... I can hang right next to a new Charger R/T (looking at each other through the side windows) until 100mph when we let off...His car is in the high 13's.

The car pulls great.
I think my gauge is off. .
1.ALWAYS DO A LEAK TEST--- if there is oily siht around the clamped area--- IT IS LEAKING.
2. ALWAYS "T" into your gauge hose and hook up a second, temporary KNOWN ACCURATE gauge.

Easy gauge test is to use a rubber tipped air hose from your compressor regulated down to your desired pressure.
CHECK DASH and extra gauge to see where they read. This is how I used to do it waaaay back in the 80's with the turbo Regals.

·
Registered
0 Posts
My car started making this whistling noise lately and it's kinda low when I first get on it but the more I'm boosting the louder it is. I have like a 3 second video but it won't let me put it up here. I've had people say my turbo is going bad and people saying its a boost leak maybe in the intercooler or intercooler couplers. If anyone can help I can text you the video where you can hear it. Thanks guys

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
boost leak ? noob here

i just bought an srt4 yesterday its my first boosted car so i dont no much about boost so it seemed fine and powerful when i started driving it but what do i no. after about an hour of flying around i basically lost power and had no acceleration. the car wouldnt go faster than 100 km/h in 5th gear. even in 3rd gear i would hit it and the boost would pressure up and hit 7k rpm but the car was not pulling at all. i came to a stop and took off and i was only do 80km/h and already maxed out in 5th gear. the car had a ton of black smoke coming from my exhaust as well. anyone have any idea wtf is going on becuase i dont. the engine felt shaky and when i was coasting down the road my rpm went down to 0 and car shut off ass well. also idles like shit around 500 to 900 up and down almost shuts off when at idle.

·
Premium Member
6,838 Posts
i just bought an srt4 yesterday its my first boosted car so i dont no much about boost so it seemed fine and powerful when i started driving it but what do i no. after about an hour of flying around i basically lost power and had no acceleration. the car wouldnt go faster than 100 km/h in 5th gear. even in 3rd gear i would hit it and the boost would pressure up and hit 7k rpm but the car was not pulling at all. i came to a stop and took off and i was only do 80km/h and already maxed out in 5th gear. the car had a ton of black smoke coming from my exhaust as well. anyone have any idea wtf is going on becuase i dont. the engine felt shaky and when i was coasting down the road my rpm went down to 0 and car shut off ass well. also idles like shit around 500 to 900 up and down almost shuts off when at idle.
Need more information, pull the codes, check to see if your Inlet Air Temperature sensor in the up pipe blew out with your boosting around, what is your boost pressure now in 3rd at WOT, check for leaks, download the Service Manual, Google...............................
Oh yeah, Welcome!:smile:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I bought a 05 last month. car has only 1900 miles on the clock as of now. I think i already have a boost leak. My boost gauge won't even spike at 15psi anymore. It goes to around 14psi or so then drops to 11-12 psi under WOT in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears. Is 11-12psi normal for a 05 or does this already sound like the infamous boost leak issue with these cars. Its very frustating to me now already. I have read over the article but I have no idea what all that stuff means. I'm a newb to FI so from my standpoint, its like reading a second language I know nothing about. Can someone please help sort of tell me where the iniital prone areas of the leaks generally come from. also, is this a bandaid fix or does zip tieing the hoses fix the problem for good?

2nd gear.....10 psi and thats it!
3rd gear...12 psi until around 4500 rpms then it goes to 14 psi dropping to 13 psi around 5500 rpms.
4th gear....12 psi.

^^Is that normal or does that seem like a boost leak?
Dude consider 10 a good number bought my 04 srt about 2 weeks ago already got a grand in parts "all crucial" but I peak at around 5 psi

461 - 470 of 470 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.