Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 470 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured with all these guys dropping boost and not knowing where to begin, this thread will help those where to start looking. I know to plenty of you this is your first turbo car.

In this Discussion thread we will reveal the real leaks vs. hoses popping off etc..

If someone can get the method of pressurizing the system and you have pics, we need the how to. I can paste it on this first post for all to see.

This is a must (Pressure Testing) before you go out and think something is wrong with your car. Sometimes it gets as simple as a stripped worm drive clamp.

~ Lost a reading on your Boost Gauge? ~

the boost gauge is tapped into the brake booster line, it can be found on the hard plastic fitting to the brake booster. The line is very thin. a small wire tie will keep it from coming off. I will get a picture up sometime.

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9532

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts

If somebody has the time to edit this sucker, number/name the arrows and add an arrow for the spot where the hardpipe ends, I've got photos in my gallery that show the underside piping pretty well. I'll post up the part numbers for my leak check parts tonite. All from Lowes/A-zone

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
FWIW, anybody with an "old school" turbo Dodge...

The flexible upper intercooler hose from a TII setup works great with the PVC cap and tire valve shown above. Used instead of the short rubber hose pictured, it gets the tire valve up where it's easier to get to.

This is the hose I mean...

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have got a boost leak that starts at 14psi. I can hear it with pressure checker around the throttle body or lower area. I replaced my RFL and the leak is still there. My boost falls off to 14psi no matter what. and boost is slow to come on. I nor the shop i was at can find it. They blew it off as air passing in the throttle body. I cant put my ear on it. Ive tried soapy water and a stethascope. I hear it but cant find it. ANy ideas.???? CAn i check boost with throttle open? Thats the only way the leak stopped.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
pap said:
yo Nivo,
Here's a good how too I posted a while back. Its cheap, easy and gets the job done:
Leak Tester

This is essentially what it looks like:

This may be some useful info that was posted as well:
Leak thread

PAP

I just built one of those last weekend and it worked fine. Except that I drilled the hole a little off and the stem is sensitive (if I push to hard on it it dislodges itself). But it stills works well.

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
Sean, how high can you get the system up to using the tester? If you can't get past 14, you do indeed have a leak.

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
Maybe about 2 seconds a pound? Most folks cannot even reach 20 if they do have leaks. When you hit 20, it will leak down, but at a slow 1 thousand per PSI.

·
Registered
97 Posts
A friend and I did the test last weekend and we couldn't get the boost gauge to move at all with 20psi coming through the compressor. We upped it to about 60 and the gauge creaped up to 7 or 8.

I guess my question is, assuming you have a perfectly good system, what should you hear? Or should you hear anything at all?

I'm also having another problem with getting too much boost where lines and hoses are popping off, but I assume it's related to the leak.

Steve

·
Registered
338 Posts
i can get the pressure to build to 20 psi but it starts spilling out after 14psi. I have the same problem undrer driving conditions. I spike to 18 but by redline i am back down to 14 psi. I have replaced the wastegate with another adjustable and still problem. Now at least i can hear the leak. but its no where that i can put my hands on it. I am hoping this is the reason my boost is delayed before kicking in when i accelerate.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Hey, ayat108, is there a clamp at #4? I have tightened the hell out of 1,2,3,+5, but didnt know about #4.

·
Registered
769 Posts
When tightening number 4...the one directly under the car. Be careful because I am aalmost 100% positive there is some plastic under the clamp...when I tightened mine I heard a little creaking plastic sound. Can anyone verify? We don't want people tightening it to tight and cracking the plastic.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Well, that was easy,....I got about 2 full turns out of the head....we will see if it makes a difference......I didnt hear anything when turning it.

·
Registered
606 Posts
can someone please list the size coupling that fits on our turbos?
In the VFAQ link, it's 2.5" outer diameter, is ours the same size?
If so, is this equivalent to a 2" I.D.?
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 470 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.