Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boost gauge is reading -10 when the engine is turned off. I don't think I can have a vacuum while the engine is off. I've noticed that my boost while driving seems low too although the car pulls like mad. I think the gauge needs recalibration.

Minor annoyance.

Anyone else see this?

-U.P.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
nevermind, i just checked it after the car has been off for a while and the gauge is back to 0.

Anyone know if this is normal? I let the car idle for about 3 minutes this morning before I shut it off. Immediately after shutting the car off, the boost gauge read -10 and didn't seem to be moving. I guess it slowly moved back to 0.

Dunno, is this normal?

U.P.

·
Registered
180 Posts
This could be a plugged vacuum line. The line for the boost gauge comes off the brake booster. Are the brakes working okay? It's the small line at about the 1 o'clock position on the front of the booster, the line without the check valve in it. Check the vacuum lines with the engine running at idle (be careful of hot surfaces and the fans). As you pull each line the idle should go up a little and you should hear the vacuum leak.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just theorizing here but couldnt there just be a vacuum stil in the intake manifold after the car has been shut off?
What happens if you press the accelerator after the car is shut off?
Does the gauge return to o psi?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The brakes seem fine. I think this is more just me being paranoid about my new car.

Tonight when I get home from work I'm gonna check how long it takes to return to 0. Maybe it just takes a few minutes. I only waited something like 30 sec to 1 minute this morning after I shut the engine down.

This is my first turbo, pardon my ignorance.

-U.P.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Please try pressing the accelerator down after you shut it off to see if the gauge returns to zero.
Thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Didn't stick tonight after I got home, went straight to zero psi. When it happens again, I'll let you know if a press of the gas pedal clears it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Happened again this morning. Pushing the gas pedal doesn't clear it. Last time this happened, when I checked about 4 hours later, it was back to 0 so I'm gonna check every half an hour to see if it creeps back.

Gonna call the dealer to see if this is unusual. The boost seems fine and it seems to read up to 12 or 13psi when I stomp the gas so I think it is reading ok when running.

-U.P.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
I have heard of autometer gauges not being the best so I would not doubt if its the gauge. I know the SPI gauge sux big time. Always sits bellow 0.

Try tapping on the gauge to see if the needle moves back to th eparked possition.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I checked after the car was sitting for about 45 minutes and it's back to 0. Called the dealer, they don't know anything "The car's so new we don't know much about it" was their line. They just said if the car is performing fine, then it's probably fine, bring it in if it becomes a consistent problem.

I'm thinking it's just the gauge.

Please if anyone else notices this, let me know, I wonder if I'm unique here.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
The gauge line comes off the brake booster? When you shut off the car there is usually a little vacuum left in the brake booster which is probably why the gauge is reading vacuum still.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Mine drops to 0 immediately after shut down. You might want to either have the dealer check it, or throw a vacuum guage in line, and see if you really retain some vacuum after shut down. I think most auto parts stores have a "loaner" tester you could use.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine drops immediately to 0 90% of the time. It only stayed at -10 twice this week and in both those cases it returned to 0 within an hour.

What is everyone's idling psi? When I'm idling, my gauge reads -20psi or so. Is that what others are seeing?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, it's definitely the gauge. Happened this morning. Idled for like 3 minutes and the gauge showed -20, turned the engine off, gauge went to -10. Let it sit for about 10 seconds, gauge didn't move. Tapped the gauge with my finger, gauge returned to 0.

I'll have the dealer replace the gauge at my first oil change.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Call ahead and tell them what is going on.
I doubt they will have a replacement there to throw in when you get the oil changed. It may take a while to get it into the dealership.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Will do,

I think it actually has something to do with the slope when I park. It has only happened when parking at my work and I always park in a space that slopes downhill slightly. Whenever I park at home in my garage which is level, it doesn't happen.

I think my gauge only likes to be level.

It still might fix itself too, sometimes these things loosen up after breaking in for awhile. I only got 500 miles on the car so far.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Are we positive that the line for the gauge comes off the brake booster ?When I had my intake side intercooler hose off to see how much oil the PCV system had pumped into it, I noticed a sensor and a boost/vacuum line coming out just ahead of the throttle body.
REASON FOR ALL THIS RAMBLING !!!
My gauge is staring to stick. I think if oil should get into the gauge line it might make it react that way..... shock

1 - 18 of 18 Posts