Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, about 3 months ago i installed a CCA Large FMIC. Ever since then i have been experiencing major boost flutter in second and third until i get up to about 4K RPM then it just smooths out and stays consistent. Is this normal? If not is there anything i can do to eliminate this? Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Do you mean that funny sound when you floor it at low RPM's? Or the boost levels are actually bouncing around?

My turbo also sounds "fluttery" at low RPM's especially when I'm passing @ 65 MPH in 5th. Boost is consistant though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya thats exactly what it is. You can hear a flutter, and the boost gauge bounces like a crack addict. Then it evens out. but it only started doing this after i installed the intercooler. I also have aftermarket intake, and mopar BOV

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Ya I'm the same setup and it does the same thing. I thinks its just the turbo spooling up faster then the PCM is willing to deal with, so it sits there modulating the wastegate until it evens out.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Bryvelle said:
Hey guys, about 3 months ago i installed a CCA Large FMIC. Ever since then i have been experiencing major boost flutter in second and third until i get up to about 4K RPM then it just smooths out and stays consistent. Is this normal? If not is there anything i can do to eliminate this? Thanks guys
Compressor surge?

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
yeap, compressor surge, happens to me every now and then too, gotta get off the gas as soon as you hear it, down shift or do something to get the rpm's up higher first. i've done alot of things to try and get it to go away, and have only got it to apoint where it's not so bad. if it bothers you too much, your real only solution is a bigger turbo

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
what about ptb?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
srt4fun80 said:
yeap, compressor surge, happens to me every now and then too, gotta get off the gas as soon as you hear it, down shift or do something to get the rpm's up higher first. i've done alot of things to try and get it to go away, and have only got it to apoint where it's not so bad. if it bothers you too much, your real only solution is a bigger turbo
what all did u do to help it?? when mine does it, it does it pretty bad and ive been trying to find solutions to keep it from doing it that bad and no luck...ne advice?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmmmm What causes it??? Not breathing well enough??? If i upgrade my Exhaust setup to a 3" w/ a High Flow DP do u think it would help??

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Is that the same flutter when you let off the gas at around 3k? I thought it was just the sound of the wastegate arm. What exactly does this compressor surge sound like?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Boost gauge flutter...

Yeah...I'm having the same issue. After installing Stage 2/no toys i get bad boost gauge flutter but only seems to do it in 3rd gear wot after boosting up. I was thinking possibly a boost leak? Or maybe this is just normal....car seems to run fine...

·
Registered
844 Posts
christ....

its not ptb, its compressor surge.

ptb=part throttle boost is when (now stay with me on this) you make boost, at part throttle. ptb can cause compressor surge, however, if you dont have an aftermarket wga or bc this is not your problem.

your plugs, also not your problem...

your problem is the way ur driving. dont accelerate hard in high gears under 3000 rpms. this causes the turbo to spin real fast, while the motor is still spinning slow. the pressurized air is not being used and is trying to go back through the turbo and out the intake (compressor surge).

·
Registered
690 Posts
RDIRTM250 said:
Yeah...I'm having the same issue. After installing Stage 2/no toys i get bad boost gauge flutter but only seems to do it in 3rd gear wot after boosting up. I was thinking possibly a boost leak? Or maybe this is just normal....car seems to run fine...
I have the same thing. Mine is a combination of problems though. My gauge is going bad and I have a couple leaks that need to be fixed.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
How bad could this really be? I remeber it doing this from the factory with no mods at all and now with the new wga its a small bit worse...How long will a surging turbo last?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Boost gauge flutter fixed

Just fixed mine...had a boost leak on the intercooler hose and also was getting spark blow out...fixed the leak and gapped plugs to .035...car is a raped ape now and no needle flutter at all. Didn't have problems till i installed Stage 2 but that's because when the car is stock it wasn't running high enough boost to cause the leak and spark blow out. BTW...i only had needle flutter at wot full boost and in 3rd gear...i noticed in 3rd car runs alot higher boost...dont' know about 4th or 5th...never got on it in those gears but it doesn't matter now cause its all good now....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts