Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Satellite said:
Is boost creep good or bad? What exactly causes it? I always seem to get it...to me its good, but by the time it creeps to redline it's ready to drop again right at redline. Anybody?

well its not exactly the safest thing unless you got a wideband or something to show your air fuel... more boost causes you to run leaner because of the more demand for fuel as long as your not maxing out your turbo,fuel pump or injectors you should be fine , alot of things can cause it but a really free flowing exhaust is one of the main reasons

·
Registered
380 Posts
Speedooooo said:
Isn't boost creep an indication that you more than likely have a boost leak?

no with a boost leak you dont get as much boost as you normally would

·
Registered
380 Posts
ouch what line you running off of? i heard pinks the best

·
Registered
64 Posts
As I understand it, boost creep is caused by inefficient wastegates. The wastegate does not vent enough exhaust to stop the turbo from spooling. This usually happens when people try to run a lot of boost with an internal wastegate. An external wastegate usually solves the problem.

·
Registered
656 Posts
hmm...my car does this...I have stage 2.

hits 15, the creeps up to 16-18, then drops back down to 12-14 at redline.

I think i need to adjust my wastegate. It's at 4 mm, what is the effect of putting it at 3 mm?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Are you confusing wastegate actuator and an actual wategate? The aftermarket wastegate actuator has a stiffer spring and is adjustable so you can make the wastegate stay closed longer so you effectively run more boost.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Roc said:
hmm...my car does this...I have stage 2.

hits 15, the creeps up to 16-18, then drops back down to 12-14 at redline.

I think i need to adjust my wastegate. It's at 4 mm, what is the effect of putting it at 3 mm?

What you are talking about sounds to me, to be the pcm reducing the boost towards redline so the engine doesn't run too lean. This is common on the stock pcm, I don't know if the stage 2 does the same thing or not.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I have the AGP WGA. That's how I control bost. I'm running off the manifold source. I have a BOP installed and the pink line is capped. I get a high pitched whistle like a boost leak on acceleration but it could be just my PSI-FI CAI I guess. I might just need to reinstall the thing, which I've done twice already. I'll be doing a boost leak test soon so maybe I can figure something out.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have stage 1...it spikes about 13 and immediately starts creeping to 15+...when I get really close to redline it drops back down to 13 or so. So does this mean I have a problem or is this normal? I guess I just don't know.

·
Registered
64 Posts
That’s normal. When you have boost creep, your boost pressure rises all the way until redline. If you are running the stock turbo, by the time that you are running enough boost to get to the point where you experience boost creep, the turbo is beyond its efficiency range. So, with the stock turbo you really shouldn't experience boost creep.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK...makes a little more sense now. Is there anyway just to get it to spike to 15 then trail off like normal at redline (is that safe?)??? Would that be boost controller or wastegate....or both? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.