Dodge SRT Forum banner

Blowoff Valve Downsides ... Is it true?

1K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  S10jimmi 
#1 ·
"Downsides of releasing air to atmosphere

The unique sound caused by a blowoff valve (but not a compressor bypass valve) sometimes comes at a price. On a car where the blowoff valve is mounted after the mass airflow sensor, venting to atmosphere confuses the engine control unit (ECU) of the car. The ECU is told it has a specific amount of air in the intake system, and injects fuel accordingly. The amount of air released by the blowoff valve is not taken into consideration and the engine runs rich for a period of time. Engines with a manifold absolute pressure regulated ECU or where the blowoff is mounted upstream of the MAF sensor are not affected.

Typically this isn't a major issue, but sometimes it can lead to hesitation or stalling of the engine when the throttle is closed. This situation worsens with higher boost pressures. Eventually this can foul spark plugs and destroy the catalytic converter (when running rich, not all the fuel is burned which can heat up on and melt the converter or leave heavy carbon deposits)."
-Wikipedia

Is this true for us?

#2 ·
We dont have a mass airflow sensor. :readclose:

Also Mopar sells the rice plate which vents to the atmosphere too.

#3 ·
We do not have a MAF sensor, we have a MAP sensor. If our cars were like the DSM cars then it would apply, but it is not meant for us. MAF sensor reads by the volume of air going by it, MAP sensor reads by the pressure of air. I think.........:rofl:

Also our BOV's are before the MAP and other critical sensors, not after like in the article.

#4 ·
/\/\/\ he beat me to it, no mass airflow sensors on our cars. We have map sensors instead, and the blowoff valve is typically before it, not after it...atleast I think lol

#7 ·
V-Kidd said:
So in other words, adding a blow off valve won't screw with the ECU? And does anyone know if the Mopar BOV leaks at all?

if it screwed w/ the ecu, do you really think 90% of owners would run one?

5 people already said this doesnt apply to us.

mopar bov leaks if you dont know how to install one correctly.

#9 ·
yes it is true. ask the evo guys how a VTA (vent to atmosphere) BOV works for them!

#10 ·
christian! said:
V-Kidd said:
So in other words, adding a blow off valve won't screw with the ECU? And does anyone know if the Mopar BOV leaks at all?

if it screwed w/ the ecu, do you really think 90% of owners would run one?

5 people already said this doesnt apply to us.

mopar bov leaks if you dont know how to install one correctly.

DAMN YOU AND YOUR SIG!!!!! It catches my eye everywhere I go :eeeek:

#11 ·
Tex said:
yes it is true. ask the evo guys how a VTA (vent to atmosphere) BOV works for them!
I can speak for this. About 1/4 evo's can run an atmospheric bov... and that usually comes at the cost of a custom tune. I dont know anyone who doesnt run a recirculating greddy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.