Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my sensor has blown out. My next modification will be the hard pipe kit so I won't have to worry about it. But in the mean time what should I do? Obviously I'm boost leaking. It's my daily driver. Should I tape the wiring out of the way? Is it ok to drive like that in the meantime? Not driving it hard obviously.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
You don't need a hardpipe to prevent this, and most come with the same setup anyway. Get a Toyota PCV grommet (42058 pcv grommet). You can also use a zip tie around the sensor and pipe, along with the new grommet.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Yes, that will work. Driving without that sensor will create a huge boost leak. If it was my car I'd put the sensor in and hold it with a zip tie for now.

Hard pipes are a waste of money unless the stock popes don't fit with your throttle body or intercooler.

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
If you're considering getting a hard pipe upper pressure pipe (intercooler cold side to throttle body), it will make almost no difference in performance. Also if you went with an aftermarket hard pipe, there were some like the AGP unit that used a difference screw-in sensor, but they didn't output the same scale as stock and the computer would see lower than actual temps in a small range.

If you go with an aftermarket hard pipe that still uses a grommet, you might as well stick with stock charge pipe and clean it very well and install a new grommet.

That sensor provides the computer with the inlet air temperature (IAT) going into the engine, so you don't want to block off the hole and zip tie it up somewhere outside the intake tract. The SRT-4's computer uses a speed-density fuel management system to calculate how much air is going into the engine to determine how much fuel to use.

In order to measure density of the air, the computer needs to know accurate temperature of the inlet air. If you ran with it reading ambient temp outside of the charge pipe and got into boost, if the charge temps went up but the computer thought they were much lower you could have fueling problems and possibly too much ignition timing leading to detonation/knock.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I put it back in with the grommet. I feel like it's very loose fitting though. How much play is there normally? Is there anything you can do or put in it to make sure it doesn't leak or pop out?

·
Premium Member
3,469 Posts
So I put it back in with the grommet. I feel like it's very loose fitting though. How much play is there normally? Is there anything you can do or put in it to make sure it doesn't leak or pop out?
That part of the intake track, it needs to be very snug. This is the very reason I put an AGP hard pipe there. I don’t want to ever have to worry about that thing blowing out.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
What do you mean it feels loose, the sensor in the grommet, the grommet in the pipe or both? Make sure the grommet is seated all the way. As I already said you should use a ziptie to hold it in place. You might have to join two together to get around the pipe and sensor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts