Dodge SRT Forum banner

Blow off valve installed. Pics

5K views 36 replies 21 participants last post by  Exhaust Depot 
#1 ·
I managed to get the HKS BOV installed. Sounds pretty wicked.

I noticed a quicker recovery of the turbo when I would shift pretty quick.

For those who don't know, the purpose of teh blow off valve is to vent pressure. The turbo spools at about 100,000 rpm when worked hard. When you shift, yoru thottle closes and then the air has no where to go, so it backs up on the turbo causing a surge.

What the stock surge valve does is that it opens when your throttle closes and vents the air back into the inlet of the turbo, this prevents the turbo from slowing down some. The blow off valve does the same, except that it vents it into the air giving you that Pssshh sound. It also can hold higher boost levens with out leaking and can also vent out more volume. I suggest you use one in conjunction with your factory one. The factory one does not really need to be replaced unless you go with high PSI which will cause the stock one to leak(im yet to check whenit leaks). You cant spit out to much pressure from the stock turbo persay with out hitting fuel cut.

See less See more
#3 ·
I did not rotate it fully. Should give more clearance. Listen to the eclipse on the F & F and you will see what it sounds like. I dont knwo what pricing will be. I had to make my own flange and adapter setup for it so if it comes out to expensive to make, I will not make it.

#4 ·
ED, hope this isn't too corny but I just want to acknowledge all of the work you've done on your SRT, I know it will benefit all of us sooner or later. :wink:

#10 ·
myfootsmells said:
Grunge said:
You mentioned that there is already a factory BOV installed. How much of a difference does the new one make?
I think the biggest difference is the sound rather than any performance changes.
no, the stock one sucks, hardcore!!

#12 ·
For the newbies, read my first post up top first or you will be lost reading this.

At 11psi I dont notice a difference with the BOV I have. But when I raised the boost to 15psi, I did notice a difference with the recovery. The turbo came online sooner than with just the stock surge valve in place. And this is my reasoning as to why:

The stock surge valve is located on the compressor housing of the turbo. WHen it opens up, it recirculates the air that is in the compressor discharge into the compressor inlet. The air that is foward of the turbo, hits the throttle plate then bounces and comes back. Now when the throttle opens and the turbo is pumping air back into the plumbing, it has to overcome the air that bounced off the throttle plate. So this slows down the turbo to a certain degree. The air in the intercooler piping is traveling well over 300mph at high boost. So imagine what that air does when it hits a brick wall in front of it. It only has one place to go.

Now, with the addition of a second BOV , you now get ride of all the air that is located between the turbo and the inlet of the FMIC (front mount intercooler) which is the longest section of piping in the system.

Smelly foot, I used the HKS SSBOV on my car. I also used the HKSSSBOV flange as well. For those who are not familiar with it, unlike the BLITZ, GReddy, Turbo XS, Apex etc. The HKS does not bolt on with screws. It connects BOV to the flange with a Snap ring. Personaly i wish it was with screws.

I have used various BOV before. I am very happy with the HKSSBOV because unlike the BLITZ and most of the others out there, it does not have a piston inside of it. I have had problems with pistons wearing out on me and sticking.

I tested most of the BOV out there on my mkiv supra. Most of the supra guys use the HKS unit. THey utilize two of them though for those pushing alot of horse power. Some with large single turbo setups, use teh HKS racing BOV which can handle more pressure than the SSBOV. They also use the turbonetics Godzilla one, but those are the guys who have strickly race cars in tube chassies.

#13 ·
personally i love the HKS bov, i have one on my daytona.

Exhaust Depot, how come slow low to the ground? is that the only place? we dont have srt-4 in canada here yet, still waiting. i want one NOW!

oh the sound of the hks bov is priceless with 18psi of hybrid turbo. its loud i tellyah.

#14 ·
Well the good thing about the srt setup is that it comes with a hard pipe kit direct from teh factory. Form the turbo discharge which as we know the turbo is on the firewall, almost all teh way to the front mount, the plumbinb is made out of steel. There is about a 12" section of rubber hose where you can install teh BOV to. The other section is on teh cold side of the FMIC, but there is not to much space there. Its a small run and it has the temp sensor there.

I will be rotating the bov some so it gives a little more clearance.

#15 ·
Exhaust Depot said:
I did not rotate it fully. Should give more clearance. Listen to the eclipse on the F & F and you will see what it sounds like. I dont knwo what pricing will be. I had to make my own flange and adapter setup for it so if it comes out to expensive to make, I will not make it.

the Eclipse on the F&F did not even have a turbo on it, it was a non turbo RS... l

#17 ·
the Green 1 was post to have a turbo on it, and had some cool BOV sounds in the Movie, but there was no turbo on the car in RL.

#22 ·
YOu dont need all of that extra hardware to install the bov. What I did was take a piece of piping that had the ends beaded and installed the hks flange on it. I then cut the stock hose and placed the pipe in line. The stock hose is pretty thick. I am sure some people will start to say that the stock hose is not good because it will expand and contract with boost pressure but the fact of the matter is that its a small run of hose and with the pipe in it, it becomes very ridged.

#24 ·
SuperDuperNeon said:
I dunno if i want to be cutting any stock stuff. For only $139, that seems like a reasonable price for piece of mind of an upgraded pressure pipe and not having to cut anything.
I agree, for people like me who don't have the proper tools, it's alright. What I saw that I didn't like was their Stage III upgrade cosying 3k! Doesn't seem worth all that money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.