Dodge SRT Forum banner

Block off plate gasket

6K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  supercooper 
#1 ·
whats the best type of gasket to use under the block off plate.

have seen some that use copper flashing and some that use high temp sealer

if you use sealer do you want to just put it around the outside edge of the plate or do you wanna put a thin coat on the whole plate?

#4 ·
i put high temp silicone around the edge and a small strip on the dividing part in the middle. is that okay?

#5 ·
i just figured if you put a thin coat on the whole plate then there wouldnt be any worries about leaks and just let the thing sit over night and it would dry to the block off plate anyways. correct me if im wrong with that idea

high temp copper sealant?

#8 ·
The best thing to do is:

Buy a paper gasket sheet from an auto parts store (autozone for example) and a can of copper spray gasket stuff.

Trace the gasket using the BOP and also mark the holes. use a hole punch to make the holes (its the cleanest way IMO).

Once your gasket is cut out spray both sides with the copper gasket stuff (atleast 2-3 coats on each side since it will soak some of it up).

Let it dry for a minute.

Wipe off the turbo where the gasket will go so that its clean and no oil.

Install the gasket and the BOP.

I've tried the gooey gasket maker and its ok, not the best but it can work.

Copper-metal gaskets are good as long as both surfaces are PERFECTLY flat.

Plain paper gaskets dont seal very well.

#9 ·
Dark-SRT4 said:
The best thing to do is:

Buy a paper gasket sheet from an auto parts store (autozone for example) and a can of copper spray gasket stuff.

Trace the gasket using the BOP and also mark the holes. use a hole punch to make the holes (its the cleanest way IMO).

Once your gasket is cut out spray both sides with the copper gasket stuff (atleast 2-3 coats on each side since it will soak some of it up).

Let it dry for a minute.

X2...

I try to use as little sealent as possible in conjection with a paper gasket...If you ever step up to a big turbo and want to sell your stock turbo to someone who doesn't want a BOP, it's going to be a hell of a time scraping off the sealant...

#11 ·
Dark-SRT4 said:
The best thing to do is:

Let it dry for a minute.

this copper gasket maker you are talking about is it similar to this, this was all the local napa store had, is this the correct stuff?

napa permatex copper spray-a-gasket hi-temp adhesive sealant
fast drying metallic copper sealant helps dissipate heat, prevent gasket burnout and improve heat transfer. fills minor surface irregularities. seals instantly. fills hot spots and surface imperfections. temperature range -50- 500f resists all types of automotive fluids esp gasoline

suggested apps
cylinder head gaskets, carburetor gasket exhuast manifold gaskets and other high temperatire apps

so just make a paper gasket sized to fit the block off plate and spray it with the sealant? do you let the sealant dry first or put it on when it still wet just wanna get the job done right the first time thanks for all your help

#13 ·
Stryker6040 said:
this copper gasket maker you are talking about is it similar to this, this was all the local napa store had, is this the correct stuff?

napa permatex copper spray-a-gasket hi-temp adhesive sealant
fast drying metallic copper sealant helps dissipate heat, prevent gasket burnout and improve heat transfer. fills minor surface irregularities. seals instantly. fills hot spots and surface imperfections. temperature range -50- 500f resists all types of automotive fluids esp gasoline

suggested apps
cylinder head gaskets, carburetor gasket exhuast manifold gaskets and other high temperatire apps

so just make a paper gasket sized to fit the block off plate and spray it with the sealant? do you let the sealant dry first or put it on when it still wet just wanna get the job done right the first time thanks for all your help
Yep, that stuff will work. After you spray it on the paper gasket just give it a minute or so to get gummy; when it first comes out its seems like a little thicker then chocolate milk, so it can run if there is enough in one place.

Do this and when its gummy you can easily play with it without dripping gasket maker or getting it all over the place.

#14 ·
supercooper said:
I used high-temp paper gasket maker from Autozone. Traced out pattern with the bop and used a hobby knife to cut out the holes. Done and done.
Just a plain paper gasket is fine, dont get me wrong, but any condensation build up from the intake, or from the outside of the turbo will weaken the gasket and shorten its life. I doubt anyone would have an issue with this but it is a possibility. The copper spray should easily prevent this.

#15 ·
Dark-SRT4 said:
Just a plain paper gasket is fine, dont get me wrong, but any condensation build up from the intake, or from the outside of the turbo will weaken the gasket and shorten its life. I doubt anyone would have an issue with this but it is a possibility. The copper spray should easily prevent this.
I hear you.

#18 ·
Dark-SRT4 said:
Yep, that stuff will work. After you spray it on the paper gasket just give it a minute or so to get gummy; when it first comes out its seems like a little thicker then chocolate milk, so it can run if there is enough in one place.

Do this and when its gummy you can easily play with it without dripping gasket maker or getting it all over the place.
now that we got that out of the way is there any one block off plate that is more popular then another or one that works better?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.