Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those people out there who are way too freaky about their oil this is right up your alley. Normally people who get this kind of analysis done on their oil are interested in doing extended interval oil changes with a highend oil like amsoil or mobil1. I was interested b/c I wondered if the Mopar tune of the stage0 running so rich effects the quality of the oil or how quickly it degrades. NOTE: extended intervals on a TURBO like this engine IS NOT RECOMMENDED.

You can get this lab to run a baseline chemical analysis of your clean oil prior to putting it in the engine for $10. Then on the tail end of the oil you drain off about a half quart while the oil is still hot and then take your after sample.

The results were very pleasing though definitely not something I would do on a regular basis b/c I think the total for before and after came to $35.

I ran Mobil1 5w30 with a K&N oil filter. I use the $20 catch can mod and the car saw the SRT nationals track time on this oil. I only added about a 1/2 qt during the entire time i ran this oil and changed it out after 2800 miles.

If you want the quick answer. All my rings have already seated at 8000 miles. The oil was not very degraded and I received a recommendation of 3500 miles per change if my current driving conditions remain constant.

What does this mean to me? Well changing my oil myself I pay about $32 per oil change. I just extended my interval 30% by adding 700 miles to each oil change. Based on my old interval of 2800 miles this test will have paid for itself after 4 changes on the new interval. So, sometime next year it will be time for another test on the new interval = )

BTW, this test is a VERY good way to learn if something is wrong inside your engine.

Go here for a free test kit http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ or ring them at (260) 744-2380. They are very cooperative and helpful. Though I'm not getting any kind of discounts or anything from them I would appreciate if you would tell them Kevin Cagle sent them some business if you do decide to get your oil analyzed.

Sorry about the demo crap showing on the attachment but I couldn't find the "patch" for the pdf editor on such short notice. :lol:

Attachments

·
SRTforums Member
1,060 Posts
I get my oil checkd every change. i take mine to Hergurth Lab in Vallejo, CA. Of course I get it free because we do like 100 samples with them every month.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts